Skip to main content

The hidden victims of the housing crisis ...

I just read this article yesterday and it really broke my heart.

I realize that my children are spoiled.  They don't know what it is like to not have things.  They don't worry about food, shelter, and not getting to participate in their activities.  Of course my husband and I don't give them everything they want, but they have more than they need (and then some).

Growing up I was always made aware that "money doesn't grow on trees".  We were a one income family with 4 children and money was always tight.  Late in my highschool years, my dad lost his banking job and suddenly there was not much to live on.  I was all set to go to college and I knew that things would not go smoothly.  My parents ended up losing their home and moving into my grandmother's house.  Later things would get a little better (but not before they claimed bankruptcy) when they relocated to Florida and my dad got a job working in a hospital.

I saw financial stress and how it affected my own family.  I knew what it was like to be completely independent by age 19 with not much to fall back on if I messed up.  It was not the most happy time in my life.  Of course happy times did prevail ... I finished college, got married, and had my wonderful family.

In recent months with the price of gas going up, my children have been made aware of how much money goes into my gas guzzling car.  They know that we traded in their dad's car for a more efficient fuel running car.  It isn't that I want to stress my children out, but I do want them to understand that they are blessed and that there are those not as lucky.  What we have today is a gift from God and there are not a lot of guarantees for tomorrow.

Just last week we took the girls and some friends to see Kit Kittredge : An American Girl Movie .  The movie was part of {b}'s 6th birthday party.  While the movie was really well done and my older ones liked it, I do think a big part of the message was lost to the 6 year olds.  The Depression and its many effects on families was a big theme.  Houses were being foreclosed and families were being displaced.  How interesting that this movie debuted this summer when we are keenly aware of the many rising costs and housing market situation.

I think our family needs to discuss more current events and take the time to pray for those who are in need  ... especially the children.

Comments

Unknown said…
Sad but good article, {E}. Thanks for the link.

We have always been pretty open about talking to our kids about the price of things and how our spending choices affect what we can and can not do. I do agree...it is a fine line to walk because I don't want to have children who are stressed out about the family finances yet I want them to appreciate what they have.

There is no denying that times are hard right now in this country. Big changes need to be made in how this country is being run. Hopefully that will come soon. Sigh...

My grandfather was a teenager during the Great Depression. He liked to share the story about how his parents could only afford to give the kids(there were 7 of them)two pounds of raisons as a Christmas gift during the Great Depression. It is a story I now share with my own children.

{W}
Christine said…
Very good blog. There is a crisis out there and I just wonder how long the "system" can support those who are in trouble.

I have a story similar to yours. My parents divorced then I lived with my mother who made $5.00 and hour and then I was on my own. I made $8,000 a year and paid for my own rent, food and college books. I think I spend $8,000 a mo. on gas!!! The gas thing is getting to me also.

Losing a home would be so hard. Who has at least 3 to 4mo of extra house payments laying around in case you lose your job? Nobody. Except for the filthy rich.

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...