My 14 year old was so excited about this dance ... a Sadie Hawkin's dance where she had to ask one of the boys in her class to go. We DON'T do the boyfriend thing, so this was just a boy ;)
We bought a new dress and shoes. I spent the afternoon before the dance doing her nails, hair, and makeup. She looked beautiful and I know she felt wonderful about the whole "look".
After getting ready, I took her over to a friend's house to take photos and have a nice sit down dinner. A group of her friends were there and the lovely parents who hosted this did a nice job of getting the food (from Macaroni Grill ... we all chipped in). After the picture taking, I left where {e} and friends enjoyed a meal and then were brought to the dance (in the HS cafeteria) by her friend's parents.
THIS IS WHERE THINGS WENT DOWNHILL.
- Other kids arrived at the dance DRUNK.
- Some kids were wildly dancing (grinding stuff).
- Some boys were sliding across floors with their ties around their heads purposely knocking into girls.
- One girl (found by my daughter) was in the bathroom sitting down in the middle of the floor, rocking back and forth saying "I'm so drunk".
HUH?????
There were chaperones at this dance.
This was held on school grounds.
My daughter was quite uncomfortable and after an hour called home where her dad picked her up. She was completely crushed and disappointed by these other kids. A few of them were even "friends" of hers (although no longer close ones). The next morning before Church, she just bawled her eyes out.
I'm so sorry that my daughter had to see this. Even at my HS PROM(s), I never saw stuff like this and there were plenty of idiots in my day.
Today a call will be made to the school (yesterday was a holiday).
I'm angry and disappointed.
This should not have happened!
*Some lovely photos of my beautiful 14 year old ...
Comments
i feel so badly for your dd. but i commend her for the action she chose. removing yourself from the situation is VERY GROWN UP! i know you feel for her, and are equally as proud of your beautiful young lady!
God bless and keep us updated as to the "English Chaperone" :)
I am so sorry her first dance experience went so poorly. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of why the chaperones were so oblivious to what was going on. "Kids will be kids" does not cut it.
Good for you calling the school. Parents need (for the sake of their childrens souls) they need to get a backbone and teach right from wrong.
Second, trust me, I'm right there with you! I can't believe all this stuff...where are the parents? The chaperones? I swear, it's like our kids can't have a bit of the same high school experience we had, because things are so bad today. Makes me mad too!
We had some of the same things happening here a few years ago and the school shut the dances down for awhile. Now everyone knows what is expected. There are standards that are followed for dancing and dress requirements. People were mad that the dances were not held for a while, and that might have been a little drastic, but it really sent a message to the kids and parents. And it sounds like there needs to be more chaperones too.
My son got asked to his first dance last month. It is happening at the end of October. It will be his first high school dance. I hope it goes ok. He has told me that I am NOT allowed to blog about it - lol!
XOXO
Jen
I'm catching up on my blog reading today and this just makes me so sad. Why, why, why does this kind of thing have to happen? I'm sure you are very proud of your daughter and the excellent choices she is making -- but it's just heartbreaking to know that she was so upset over it.
Btw, she looks beautiful! Seriously, you and the hubs have the MOST BEAUTIFUL girls! And I'm not even kidding! :)