
The other day I was driving down a road on my not so usual path of getting the little one from preschool. I saw a few little boys just getting off the school bus and running home by themselves. They were little kids ... probably 5-7 years old. My first thought as they ran home to their apartment, was "wow, they are really young to be going home alone ... unattended". Then I thought of how it was when I was younger. Back then it was seemingly safe to kiss children goodbye and let them walk to and from school (or take the bus).
Are times really all that different?
My girls do not live within walking distance of the school they attend. My day starts off by getting the 7 and 9 year old on the school bus by 6:50 A.M. They are lucky enough to stand in my garage until they hear the sound of the bus and then they get to run onto it at the end of my driveway. After they head to school, I leave within 25-35 minutes and take the high schooler to her school and then the preschooler to her school via car. YES, we have 3 different schools (plus a homeschooler).
The afternoon routine is a little more complicated ... 3/5 days I drive to three different schools and wait FOREVER it seems to pick up my children.
Don't feel bad for me!
I'm blessed enough to have 5 children and this is just a little part of what I feel I need to do for them.
Back to these little boys who ran all the way home. I'm guessing that they have working parents. Maybe they go home to an empty apartment. Hopefully they go home to a caretaker ... a parent, a grandparent, or a babysitter. It would break my heart to think otherwise. In my neck of the woods, kids who have working parents usually participate in an after-care program. This is not FREE and I would imagine that for some, the cost of it is too much.
I came from a home where my mom stayed home with us kids. She volunteered in schools and was ALWAYS home when we ran in the door. Back in the 70's and 80's, I was always coming home from school on my own (with my little sister and neighborhood kids). Was it the times? Maybe I am not alone in that many other kids walked or rode a bus without the aid of a parent.
STILL, I couldn't help but to feel sad for these little boys.
My girls are lucky ... I hope they know it.
I feel quite blessed to be a stay-at-home mommy.
Each day, I take my girls to and from school (with the help of a bus sometimes).
I'm there to greet them after their day of learning.
These girls get to participate in after school activities (swim team).
I get to go home and make a warm meal for dinner.
As I saw these little boys running home. I decided that instead of feeling sad for them, I would not assume things. Thanking GOD for my own blessings was the thing to do!
Comments
As for us and school - when the weather is nice my kids walk to school - two different schools. My 13 yo daughter meets up with friends, I walk my 9yo son. I let them come home on their own (sometimes together, sometimes not - depending on the 13yo's activities). We live less than 1 mile from both schools and it's a nice walk.
3 of my kids are in 3 different schools too so I kwym. I pick up and drive them usually too and yes its forever.
I used to live in CA and it was different there. no busses. the bell rang and all the kids ran home by themselves even little K's.
When I have this baby...that should add to the FUN!
I know I'm a worrier, and most never even 'take a chance just this once'. I realized recently, that I finally worry about my oldest's saftey a little less, and wondered when that started. I think it was when she actually became bigger (taller) than I am. lol. Still, my mother-mode is always on - with my own, and any other child who seems to have no one to watch over them enough. I'd probably be seeing those boys home every day, from afar. lol