Skip to main content

I love Mowing the lawn ...

It's true!

Last year, after nearly 14 years of marriage and letting my husband take on the job of mowing the lawn, I decided to have him teach me the ways of the LAWN MOWER. There were two reasons for this. One being that I felt as a strong woman, that I needed to KNOW HOW, and the other being that many times my yard was looking less than pretty. When you live next to a person with a pristine yard ; one that is completely well maintained (by outside folks may I add), it does add a bit of pressure to keep up so to speak.

What I found about mowing the lawn was that this was a job that would require hours of my time. No, I do not live on acres of land, but I do have a corner lot with a fairly large front, side, and backyard. Any time I look to do the yard, it will certainly require an uninterrupted block of time.

Did I just say uninterrupted?
Why YES! I did say that.

This leads me to my favorite part about mowing the lawn. It means that I need time to myself to accomplish the task. It means getting sweaty and using muscle power (well, just a little). It means that I can put my iPod on and listen to a book, music, or podcast for a lengthy period of time. It also means that when my children come outside to ask me a question or tell me a NEED, I can PRETEND that I can't hear a thing. I'll point to my ears and the lawn mower and direct them back to their dad, the house, or an older sibling.

This job of mowing is also gratifying to me. I can almost compare it to vacuuming my house ... one of my favorite jobs (if that is even possible). I love the look of a clean, freshly vacuumed home ... one with vacuum lines. The same can be said for the yard. I love going over uneven grass and neatly trimming it to an acceptable point. Mostly I love it when I can actually mow the lawn BEFORE my neighbor and actually see a slightly nicer looking yard ... even if it is for less than a day.

My husband has actually requested that he get back this job. Maybe he misses his alone time. I was thinking that we could alternate, but so far this year he seems too busy. Either that or the weekends have not been cooperating with us. Looks like I may just need to do the mowing today. Darn ;)


Comments

Beth said…
I love mowing the lawn for the same reasons you do! "Quiet" time to myself. Well, if you count alternating rides with my two younges being by myself, that is! And I just love the gratification of doing it myself.

We also have neighbors who have an immaculate yard. You know...the ones who mow 3 times a week (I'm not exaggerating at all. I counted last week because it just seemed they were always out there)! Soon as we mow our grass, they're out there mowing theirs even though they just did it a couple of days before. He also keeps his deck lower on his mower so it always appears that our grass is longer than theirs! Drives me crazy. We're too busy to tackle 3 1/2 acres of grass more than once a week. I keep telling myself that it's their HOBBY and that their kids are grown so they have more time on their hands to make myself feel better. Honestly, their grass looks like a golf course or a professional ball field. I think he has some kind of mower that makes the stripes in his yard. They are nice people, so I'll forgive them of their mowing addiction!

I also try to keep perspective that at least they MOW their grass! We used to live next to people who never did and let it grow as high as their hips. So, I keep trying to keep that in mind when I hear the annoying drone of the neighbors lawn mower. At least they mow...at least they mow...at least they mow (while taking deep relaxing breaths)! ;)
Kim H. said…
Oh my gawsh, Elaine, we were destined to be friends...I love mowing the grass! I sometimes have to delegate it to one of the big kids since I don't have the time myself -- although it's something I should probably make time for, huh?

When Leo was gone I HAD to mow. I had to keep the yard up. I felt very empowered. I actually changed the oil, the filter and took the blade off to get it sharpened. Yep, definitely something we women should know how to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...