Skip to main content

Opening your heart ...

I am thankful for my FAITH ... my Catholic Faith.

A few years ago I stumbled on a book by Matthew Kelly called Redicover Catholicism.  I purchased the book, but I think it sat on my bedside table for a really long time before I read it.  Maybe it was because I was really engaged in my church life back in Little Rock and I didn't feel hungry enough to read it.   Fast forward to today and I can't seem to get enough of the faith based resources I've found through Dynamic Catholic .  I am so thankful for this program that really has kept my faith alive.

For nearly 2 years and 4 months I have struggled to find my church home.   My family and I have bounced around to 6 different Catholic Churches within a 25 minute radius of our home.  The Catholic Church in my immediate town is where we are registered praishioners and where my children are enrolled in the religious education program they have.  However, it is NOT where I feel my family belongs.

In Little Rock, my parish Christ the King was such a huge part of my family's life.   It's where my children went to school, my husband sat on the finance board, my oldest daughter was very invested in the youth group (she even won the state's Saint Timothy Award), it's where I taught religious education for a few years, where I took part in bible studies, and where my husband attended a Men of Faith group on Friday mornings.   CTK was truly a gift to us.  I so wanted to have that very same experience in NJ even though I knew in my heart that it couldn't be exactly the same. I just didn't think it would be so very different.

This past spring I watched a small clip of Matthew Kelly's confirmation program.  It was meant for teens and the message was simple ... how can YOU be the best verion of YOU?  After I saw the clip, I approached the director of religious education at my home parish to ask if I could view more of the confirmation program.  She passed me the entire DVD program  ... Decison Point  I spent a few weeks watching it and taking notes.  The program was truly engaging and I was excited that Dynamic Catholic was GIVING this program to churches all over the country for FREE.   For the first time I was happy that my upcoming confirmation candidate would get access to this ... or so I thought.   When I asked our religious education director, she mentioned that they were happy with a program they had been using, but would likely use some of Decision Point.   UGH!!!!    I wanted my parish to take a big leap of faith and CHANGE because what they were doing was NOT really engaging kids and I believe that is what makes so many of the kids today walk away from the faith.

It was also this past spring that I signed up and attended a retreat with my husband  called "Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose" ... a really incredible life changing talk by Matthew Kelly.   This event really sparked my faith once again.   After that I continue to read a two more books over the summer ...
1  The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic
2. Ordinary Lives, Extraordinary Mission
I also listened to a CD in my car called "The Best Way to Live"

Then, I became an Ambassador because I wanted to give back to a program that had given me so much during a time that I really NEEDED my Catholic faith.

When school started back up this past fall, I wanted to take on a women's bible study and did a search in my area, but didn't really find anything.   I went BACK to Dynamic Catholic and stumbled upon a book called "Walking with Purpose".  Whenever I purchase a book, I try to look for reviews and find out a bit more about the author.   It was then that I seemed to fall into a rabbit hole called the internet ... looked up the author Lisa Brenninkmeyer, then went to her website, found out she had a series of bible studies, clicked on a link to explore what churches participated with the study, and then found out there was a church 15 minutes away that was participating in the program.   What was really incredible was that I also noted that my previous parish was ALSO doing this very same program.   Immediately I knew that this was a sign for me to reach out to the local parish and take this study.

I am now in week 9 of this study called "Opening Your Heart" and I feel so blessed to have found this.  I sit at a table with 6-9 women  ... a few my age, but most of them could be my mother's age.   We've read together, prayed together, and shared our life's story with eachother.   I.Needed.This.

Dear God,
I really do not know your plan for me, but I TRUST in you.  Please help me to be the very best version of ME and to be a good example to others.   Thank you for my many blessings and help me to never forget all that you have done for me and for others.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ~Jeremiah 29:11


*I also want to add that I have been attending another parish in the next town over from mine where I really believe is more spiritually alive and more aligned with the Catholic faith I have grown to love more than ever.   Hopefully after this year, I will move over to this parish and become more involved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...