It almost felt like a business trip (something I have never been on). I left on Friday after lunch, and headed to Memphis with 4 other ladies (who I really don't know very well). This was quite an accomplishment for me ;)
Of course this was a Catholic HS'ing conference, so majority of the materials that I saw were "Catholic" based, but there were some secular things. It was nice to get some hands on feel for them. Some of it I was impressed with, but some I was really, really disappointed in. I know that some of the curricula is made by homeschooling parents, and because of lack of funding, the "prettiness" factor is not there (lack of color and eye catching characteristics). Not that I think that makes material "good", but I think my girls would appreciate that after coming home from their out of home schooling.
I was grateful to hear about 7 different workshop discussions. Some included a newcomers one, a Charlotte Mason talk, HSLDA , teaching the trivium (classical hs'ing), and why we choose to home educate. All in all, I felt inspired by the discussions.
My only grief with the 2 day adventure, was that I don't feel I exactly "fit" in with the ladies that I traveled to and from the conference with. I guess I don't need to be part of their "group", but I was hoping that I would feel more of a connection. I truly want to add more of my faith (Catholic) to our family life, but they seemed to project a much more strict lifestyle that I just can't imagine.
I was glad to go, but I also look forward to the big, local hs'ing conference (Christian and secular based). For that one, I think that my husband will come with me. Hopefully we can get someone to watch the girls for us. I also realized that I really am eclectic in my style. I don't think I could go with one straight curriculum across the board ... I think grabbing from different sources will be better for my girls. That probably means more "work" for me, but then I never take the easy road ;)
Of course this was a Catholic HS'ing conference, so majority of the materials that I saw were "Catholic" based, but there were some secular things. It was nice to get some hands on feel for them. Some of it I was impressed with, but some I was really, really disappointed in. I know that some of the curricula is made by homeschooling parents, and because of lack of funding, the "prettiness" factor is not there (lack of color and eye catching characteristics). Not that I think that makes material "good", but I think my girls would appreciate that after coming home from their out of home schooling.
I was grateful to hear about 7 different workshop discussions. Some included a newcomers one, a Charlotte Mason talk, HSLDA , teaching the trivium (classical hs'ing), and why we choose to home educate. All in all, I felt inspired by the discussions.
My only grief with the 2 day adventure, was that I don't feel I exactly "fit" in with the ladies that I traveled to and from the conference with. I guess I don't need to be part of their "group", but I was hoping that I would feel more of a connection. I truly want to add more of my faith (Catholic) to our family life, but they seemed to project a much more strict lifestyle that I just can't imagine.
I was glad to go, but I also look forward to the big, local hs'ing conference (Christian and secular based). For that one, I think that my husband will come with me. Hopefully we can get someone to watch the girls for us. I also realized that I really am eclectic in my style. I don't think I could go with one straight curriculum across the board ... I think grabbing from different sources will be better for my girls. That probably means more "work" for me, but then I never take the easy road ;)
Comments