
A day of reflection ....
After dropping my oldest off at 1st grade. I then went straight to the mall with baby {M} and my almost 4 year old {K} to pick up my portraits at JCPenney. AS I drove on Route 1, I saw the flashing sign on the highway that read ... ALL ROADS TO NY CLOSED. I knew something was not right. The mall was very close and as I parked (mall not yet opened) I saw people talking in the parking lot. Minutes later I walked into JCPENNEY and saw employees watching television. As I picked up my pictures, Scott called me to tell me to ask me if I had heard what happened. I had caught some of the story from the lady who rung up my pictures.
I quickly left and drove home listening to the radio. I went to my house and then to my neighbors where I left {K} and {M} with my neighbor Heather, as John (Heather's husband) and I went to pick up {E} and Alex (her son). I wanted my children with me as did many other parents. Scott came home from work shortly after. We spent the day watching television in complete shock. In my 30 years, nothing in the news had ever impacted my life so greatly as that day.
I was lucky in that I did not know of anyone (personally) who was killed, but I did know of neighbors who had to walk a great deal of the way home from NYCity. Seeing the coverage of those people fleeing NY by foot was heartwrenching. The faces of people ... you just can't find words to describe.
I once took a Gymboree class with Lisa Beamer (the wife of Todd Beamer who was a hero on United Flight 93). There were people in my community affected as I lived just a short 45 minutes outside NYCity.
Such an eerie feeling to know that the planes that hit the World Trade Center probably circled above my house ... a common circling path for planes coming into Newark, NJ (outside NYCity).
That was September 11, 2001.
5 years has passed and our lives are a little different. We have added 2 more children, Scott works for a different company, and we now live in a completely different city. Living here is the wife of Tom Burnett ... Deena Burnett. She goes to my church. AT the time she lived in CA, but has since moved back to where her family stems. Her children go to my girls school and she is now remarried. So life does go on.
Today I will likely watch some coverage of 9/11 and reflect. I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful people and things in my life. I feel for those who have lost, and for our country that continues to fight for freedom.
After dropping my oldest off at 1st grade. I then went straight to the mall with baby {M} and my almost 4 year old {K} to pick up my portraits at JCPenney. AS I drove on Route 1, I saw the flashing sign on the highway that read ... ALL ROADS TO NY CLOSED. I knew something was not right. The mall was very close and as I parked (mall not yet opened) I saw people talking in the parking lot. Minutes later I walked into JCPENNEY and saw employees watching television. As I picked up my pictures, Scott called me to tell me to ask me if I had heard what happened. I had caught some of the story from the lady who rung up my pictures.
I quickly left and drove home listening to the radio. I went to my house and then to my neighbors where I left {K} and {M} with my neighbor Heather, as John (Heather's husband) and I went to pick up {E} and Alex (her son). I wanted my children with me as did many other parents. Scott came home from work shortly after. We spent the day watching television in complete shock. In my 30 years, nothing in the news had ever impacted my life so greatly as that day.
I was lucky in that I did not know of anyone (personally) who was killed, but I did know of neighbors who had to walk a great deal of the way home from NYCity. Seeing the coverage of those people fleeing NY by foot was heartwrenching. The faces of people ... you just can't find words to describe.
I once took a Gymboree class with Lisa Beamer (the wife of Todd Beamer who was a hero on United Flight 93). There were people in my community affected as I lived just a short 45 minutes outside NYCity.
Such an eerie feeling to know that the planes that hit the World Trade Center probably circled above my house ... a common circling path for planes coming into Newark, NJ (outside NYCity).
That was September 11, 2001.
5 years has passed and our lives are a little different. We have added 2 more children, Scott works for a different company, and we now live in a completely different city. Living here is the wife of Tom Burnett ... Deena Burnett. She goes to my church. AT the time she lived in CA, but has since moved back to where her family stems. Her children go to my girls school and she is now remarried. So life does go on.
Today I will likely watch some coverage of 9/11 and reflect. I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful people and things in my life. I feel for those who have lost, and for our country that continues to fight for freedom.
Comments