ABEKA
Some days I wonder why I picked this language arts curriculum for {k}????? Maybe it is because I just wanted to have lesson plans laid (is that the correct spelling/use?) out for me. Well guess what? I LOOK at the plans and use SOME of their suggestions, but then I usually follow my own path. We have pretty much completed the 1st of 3 literature books. The stories have been disappointing to us ... boring and a bit conflicting with my Catholic faith. I have been patient with this part of the program, but some days I feel ready to sell them off on ebay. I like the grammar and spelling/vocabulary part of Abeka. It's just the reading part that I am not excited about.
One of my biggest issues with {k} is that she has trouble with reading comprehension. I did find something I like ... Reading Detective (we recently started their software program). I REALLY LIKE THIS (and so does {k})!!!!! I may just take a break from Abeka and concentrate on this.
How obvious is it that I am brand new this homeschooling thing !
Some days I wonder why I picked this language arts curriculum for {k}????? Maybe it is because I just wanted to have lesson plans laid (is that the correct spelling/use?) out for me. Well guess what? I LOOK at the plans and use SOME of their suggestions, but then I usually follow my own path. We have pretty much completed the 1st of 3 literature books. The stories have been disappointing to us ... boring and a bit conflicting with my Catholic faith. I have been patient with this part of the program, but some days I feel ready to sell them off on ebay. I like the grammar and spelling/vocabulary part of Abeka. It's just the reading part that I am not excited about.
One of my biggest issues with {k} is that she has trouble with reading comprehension. I did find something I like ... Reading Detective (we recently started their software program). I REALLY LIKE THIS (and so does {k})!!!!! I may just take a break from Abeka and concentrate on this.
How obvious is it that I am brand new this homeschooling thing !
Comments
tugandregina.blogspot.com
Hope this helps!
(wish we lived closer!!)
:)
I only have experience with Calvert's 1st grade program, but I really like it. I'm not so thrilled with their science and social studies. I think I am going to look into supplementing something else for those.
we all make these mistakes, some are more expensive mistakes then others...
Have fun.