Skip to main content

I should have opened up the envelope ...

Yesterday I thought I would do a good deed and weed out all the junk mail that sits on my countertop. For Christmas my husband gifted me with a pretty cool shredder ...


I started to toss out some unopened envelopes with credit card offers. One of the envelopes was from a Catholic missionary. Recently I have received a lot of mail from a variety of missionaries and I always read through the letters. Yesterday however, I DID NOT open up the envelope. I just placed it into my paper shredder.

BIG OOPS!

Apparently they placed a Saint medallion in this envelope and my super, fancy, shmancy (and yes, anonymous person ... I know this is not a real word) paper shredder cannot shred thick metal (oops, I originally spelled this word as "medal" because the item was a Saint's medal).

Was this a sign?

Should I have taken the time to open up the envelope before just tossing it to my shredder?

My punishment ... A BROKEN SHREDDER.

Last week I nearly tossed out the Staples gift card coupon ($25 off of a $50 purchase) ... good thing I didn't! I decided to replace this handy little machine and I also bought the warranty just in case I were to kill another shredder. Something tells me that I won't be tossing unopened envelopes into my shredder anymore.

*Just one more note to those who feel the need to criticize ... a lot of people use spell check on their blog posts, but I don't. Mostly it is because I have not figured out how to do it. I am human. I sometimes write without proofreading. Are my posts being graded?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sooooooo........you homeschool your children. How are you at spelling? Look at your paragraph and find the misspelled word(s).
The irony...............
momto5minnies said…
(To the ANONYMOUS person)

Hmmmm ... I am fairly sure that there are plenty of professional teachers (ones that get the big bucks) that make spelling errors.

Do you have nothing better to do with your time then to make fun of me? SHAME on you!
southernjoy said…
Also to anonymous:

I was a professional teacher, and I can't begin to tell you how many errors I saw daily... errors in parent communications, newsletters, etc. Some were careless mistakes and typos. It happens to everyone. Some were a result of the teacher actually not knowing the correct way to write. Are you suggesting that in order to homeschool, one must be perfect? Then why aren't teachers in public and private schools held to that same standard?

Are YOU perfect?
momto5minnies said…
southernjoy you said it so well ... thanks my friend!
Anonymous said…
I enjoy reading your posts regardless of any typos because they are heartfelt, funny, inspiring and interesting! Anonymous, one of my favorite parts of homeschooling is the opportunity to learn along WITH my kids. I certainly DO NOT have a complete knowledge of many of the subjects we choose to learn about. We love to delve into a subject and learn as much as we can together. We all come out with a deeper knowledge than before. If I knew 100% of the material that I teach, it would get boring pretty fast. I'm not convinced that spelling ability will make or break a teacher. Looking at the big picture, I'm pretty sure what will count most is not how well you spell but the time and attention dedicated to your children.
Anonymous said…
I've never left a comment before, but I feel compelled to do so now... I love your blog! I read it often, and have never noticed a typo. :) I happen to be a former school teacher. Now I'm a mom to 5 little ones. I'm not a homeschooling mom, but, I just wanted to say that I think that "Anonymous" is rude. There you go!
Anonymous said…
I am an old school girl who DOES use an exacto and ruler, and believe it or not....it IS fast! Glad to hear there might be a ruler that cuts straight. Not sure if I believe it.....yet!

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...