Skip to main content

Another LOL or not :-/

When I think back just 8 years ago, I was only starting to use a computer. I did have a cell phone, but really it was not all that necessary (as I once thought). The cell phone posession was the idea of my tech-nerdy husband who thought I NEEDED it. I justified it because I had children and maybe there would be the chance that I would have a "just in case" moment.

Now I can't imagine life without my computer

or

my cell phone.

I even text message my husband. I do this because sometimes the messages are important, but not enought to interrupt his work day with an actual phone call. The messages might be hellos, reminders, or little love notes. Sometimes the texting is even a little "spicy" ;)

Which leads me to this article that I found . As much as I think that I am going along with all the changes and technology, kids today are so much more into it.

I wonder if the dictionary is looking into all these new terms and abbreviations.

Just another reason to keep up with the times. If we don't, we may not be able to understand the younger generation one day :-0

Comments

Rob said…
I just got a cell phone in January of this year. mainly cause i started at a contractor at another software company and I work there 3 days a week (no phone in my office) and home 2 days a week. so people need to be able to get me. :-P

I guess that could be a postive of homeschooling. my kids don't know the shortcuts/slang as much
Christine said…
My kids know more then me...waaaaa!

It is so important to know what is out there. To know what they are doing and what they are playing with.
Unknown said…
I remember thinking I would only use my first cell phone if I needed to dial 9-1-1. HA!

And get this...I just sent my first text message today. I'm sure it is going to cost me something like a million dollars because as far as I know we do not have text messaging as part of our contract. The message said FIRST SWIM 910 and was sent to my sister who was driving to {M}'s meet. I really didn't need to tell her that but I was bored and decided to see if I could figure out how to send one. And when she got to the meet she said, "I didn't know you knew how to text"...LOL!

{W}
Anonymous said…
I'd be lost without my computer but I have never gotton attached to the cell phone. I've always found them more of an intrusion than anything else. Drives my DH nuts when I carry the thing around but don't have it turned on!
thesixburghmom said…
I remember John's first cell phone. It was ginormous. I wish we still had that thing, if only to laugh at it.

We aren't big text-ers. Usually, but the time I finish typing in the message, I would have saved hours of valuable time by just calling the person. Although, I have asked my friend's 16 year old daughter to give me a private lesson...lol. She taught her Mom and she can text like crazy. I was impressed with her mad texting skills. Her daughter is a good teacher.
Anonymous said…
I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but I have an objection about how many families (including my own) have allowed technology take over their lives. There was a point not to long ago (I can remember it and I am only 21) when people survived with constantly having a cell phone and constantly being "connected."
I understand the pressure to get a cell phone or have the internet and or cable, but those things quickly snowball. I remember a time when I was younger in my house when we always turned off the TV and had dinner together. Now none of us eat together and we all sit in front of the television. Its much harder to control your use and exposure to technology once you let it dictate how you live. Just food for thought. (Yes I see the irony that I am responding on an online blog :)

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...