Skip to main content

Some days I want to be ...

Somebody who makes a big difference. I know, I know ... I already am mommy to 5 minnies and that is a great big job. There are days that I feel really good about my role in their lives, but other days can be so darn frustrating.

I love being a stay at home mommy. In earlier days it was a bit chaotic (who am I kidding? I still have a lot of those type of days. I can just handle it better)and emotional. Many times I just felt overwhelmed and on occasion I just wanted to flee (sometimes I still feel that need). Nowadays, I feel like family life is a well oiled machine (most of the time). We are always busy ... activities, work, learning, etc. Now that I have children of babysitting age, I even get a little freedom to myself at times. I'm so glad for those little time-outs now.

STILL ...

I long to do something that showcases a little bit of me. I love taking pictures. I especially love a good story. When I can see a story in a photo I am drawn to it. Last summer I even took a photography class to better learn my camera and its many functions. Unfortunately I took the class and my camera didn't get the exercise it was longing for. Not sure what happened there??????

As my girls get older I would like to help contribute in a monetary way to our family. The big $$$$$$ signs are starting to pop in my head when I realize that my oldest daughter is only 5 years away from college. I would love to do something that could bring in money without taking me away from our family. This winter I took a finance class (beginner stocks) and it was really quite interesting. For years I listened to terms and felt like a complete idiot because it was totally foreign to me. Now I feel slightly "informed", but I still have a lot to learn. After this class, I had great intentions on diving in and immersing myself into this new arena. Life got super busy this spring and what I hoped would happen DIDN'T HAPPEN ... huh?????

This isn't the first time that my life didn't seem to go as I thought it would. I went to college and graduated with a BS in nursing (RN). I was supposed to get married and work for a while, then have a family ... maybe 2 or 3 children. The order was juggled a bit. I did graduate, get married, and had a baby in a matter of 4 months. Life then blessed me with many busy days ... various moves and 4 more children. I guess I am still a nurse, but just to my family. My career never evolved in the working world.

Maybe the various things that I have learned in my life are not what I was meant to do in a big sense. I am not just a mommy, just a nurse, just a photographer, or just an investor. Maybe I am ALL THAT wrapped up into one.

STILL, I feel called to do and be something more.

SOUNDS kind of selfish ... wanting more.

This past year has proven to be the absolute craziest, but best time in my whole life. It's been quite an emotional one too. I lost my Dad to cancer, started homeschooling 2 children, took a photography class, took a stocks class, started back with an exercise routine, went through a complete year of RCIA with my husband, and re-evaluated a lot of things within the family.

WOW! Just one year and all that!

STILL, I feel called to something more. God has managed to come into my life in a very big, bold way this year. For many years, HE was there, just in the background (or so I thought). Suddenly I see HIM everwhere. Things that didn't make sense to me now do. How do I deal with this???? Let HIM in (my daily life) and do something about it.

I've got some ideas floating around in my head. I hope and pray this time for my vision to really happen. I don't just want it to be a small part of me, but a GREAT BIG PART OF ME.

I have a great feeling. I really do!

Comments

southernjoy said…
I have seen God moving in your life, and I have no doubts as to what He can do (and has already done) through you! I can't wait to see what is around the corner for you.
Christine said…
What I have learned...I am only 40...is that really enjoy the time now. Be in the present. It really goes so fast!

Those precious precious little girls need you. Kiss them love them really enjoy these years.

My youngest is going to school next year and I am going to start working. Wow... time flies.

Great post.
Philippa said…
What a hectic and emotional year! Just that you have made it through smiling is a testament to God's grace. Sometimes I feel like I need to be doing something BIG to be doing God's work and letting his glory shine through me, but I think I am starting to learn that God is in every little detail.
He chose you before the foundation of the world for Him, to be here doing what you are doing. He chose were you would live and He is guiding your choices. Do we not just have to sit back and say "I am willing" and He promises to become a BIG part of you.
"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fulness of God" Eph. 5vs17-19.
Rob said…
Yes jason did seem like he had had enough and was ready to pack it in.

The Donk is a friend I workd with for around 7 years until a few months ago. we would usually swim or run at lunch. we both do triathlons.

It might not always seem like it, what with all the hassle of raising kids, but you are doing huge things for God right now.
Sam and I used to always feel like we should be doing something 'bigger'. But now we are pretty content with our lives.

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...