Skip to main content

Finding GOOD MUSIC

What’s in a lyric? It doesn’t have to be ‘Christian music’ to be Christian music

(taken from the above link) It doesn’t have to be “Christian” music for God to give it the thumbs up. Musicians are gifted with an ability to bring other people enjoyment through use of a talent that most people don’t possess. Greg, in fact, said it may even be more of a challenge to be an artist who is a Christian rather than a Christian artist. Christian musicians are, in effect, often preaching to the choir, not that there’s anything wrong with that. Artists who possess a Christian faith and who play mainstream secular rock for instance, have an opportunity to gift a listener not only with their talent, but with a message.

I'm not a big Christian Rock listener. It isn't that I don't like it. Mostly I just haven't really exposed myself to it. I do like a variety of music and I try my best to listen to the words of the songs that I hear. Of course there is a lot of junk out there ... terrible lyrics, drug/sex talk, and music with just a bad sound or vibe.

I love a song that I can connect with on some level and I am so glad that there are singers and songwriters out there who can bring good music to our ears. Sometimes it is hard to find, but I enjoy the search!

Comments

Unknown said…
Great thoughts!

I think different kinds of music affects people in different ways. I am very much moved by certain kinds of music...old, church hymns, classical music, and some classic rock-and-roll.

I went through a time when I listened to contemporary Christian music. I somewhat like it for a period of time but then it started to all sound the same. It didn't inspire me and I actually grew bored with it(blush). Eventually I stopped tuning into the Christian radio station. I don't miss the music and the talk portion of the programming never appealed to me. And of course even admitting this makes me feel all guilty because you know, Presbyteritan guilt is probably just as strong as Catholic guilt...LOL!

{W}
Shelly said…
Have you ever heard Marie Bellet? She's got some great songs - Catholic mom of 9 [?]. She's one who speaks to "being in the trenches"! I love her!
nutmeg said…
I have actually started to cultivate a love for country music. Have you heard Lonestar's Front Porch Looking In song? It's awesome...

I know country can be sappy, but some of them are fun, and a lot of them are real life inspired.

Very cool.

Popular posts from this blog

Momto5minnies meets the Pioneer Woman!

I read her blog and knew that she was coming into town for her book signing and I thought about going, but I also knew it was the day that I was getting my braces off (MONDAY 11/9). On Sunday night before, my husband made a quick trip to Walmart and brought home a flyer saying how Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) was coming the next day. I'm not sure if my husband was more excited about me getting my braces off the next day or having me MEET THE PIONEER WOMAN. I guess I really did want to go, but now I HAD TO GO! Monday was a crazy day ... jitters in the am 4.6 mile run to make me feel relaxed (it was also my longest run yet) drop the 12 year old at her homeschool art class quick trip to Walmart (to see if there were Pioneer Woman cookbooks ... no luck, but my husband picked me up a few ... I'm gifting some for Christmas). home to throw a pot roast in the crockpot braces removal at 11:30am dentist visit at 1pm usual afterschool chaos of swim team home for a 30 minute rest wa...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...

Not a lot has changed ...

As a puppy he always liked a warm spot. We call Comet our "close talker" (from Seinfeld) because he is in your face and always a little too close for our comfort level. The girls don't seem to mind, but it can be a little annoying for my husband and I. Really, he is a fabulous dog. He listens well and is so gentle with everyone. *We don't let Comet on furniture ... except for the playroom/schoolroom couch. There he enjoys relaxing and being read to by one of the girls. SPOILED POOCH!