Skip to main content

The rising cost of GAS is making me switch SUNSCREENS

Isn't the cost of gas to blame for everything?????

Like how we all need to TRY and drive less because of the cost to fill our tanks. Or how we have to be wiser when grocery shopping because food costs are up. OR how we even have to attempt to be more frugal in other areas of our spending.

To do my little part I am giving up using this ...



For the past 2 years now I have LOVED, LOVED using this sunscreen because it is so easy and quick to apply to 5 children plus myself. There is no rubbing and no mess. Putting on sunscreen before this invention was equivalent to helping 5 children put on their snow gear in the winter. I HATED IT!

I do have to make some changes with our budget. My children spend a good 5 months outside (May-Oct.) ... swimming nearly every day. That is a WHOLE LOTTA SUNSCREEN! Thankfully my girls do not burn, but I know the importance of taking care of their skin and I really do try to apply sunscreen to them in a reasonable time. They certainly need sunscreen, but they do not need the STARBUCKS version when there is other good stuff out there for a lot less $$$$. Seriously one can is nearly $8 and I could almost go through that in 2 days.

I'm gonna have to start RUBBING on the old fashioned kind of sunscreen. The assembly line and the complaining will begin yet again. It will be likely that someone will not get completely covered because they do not have patience to get fully covered. I am so NOT excited to hear the complaints.


BUT, I will be doing a small part in saving some money.

Comments

Unknown said…
We still mostly use the messy sunscreen. I did treat myself to a Coppertone product that is sold in a squirt/pump bottle(like Windex) which is not nearly as nice as what you were using but gosh...the girls thought it was so neat and different that they used and wasted so much of it. I won't buy it again for that reason.

UGH about prices in general. I have been scrutinizing our purchases very carefully. But on the other hand, my husband and I really want to get away from buying from big box retailers which is going to mean paying even more. I guess we will just have to make due with less which is not a bad thing. :)

Oh back to the skin topic, I went to the dermatologist yesterday for a basic mole check. We talked about sun exposure and how I burn but have a few children who never burn...just get darker and darker. The doctor told me it is just as important for the dark skinned people in my home to use sunscreen as the fair skinned folks.

{W}
Kim H. said…
You go girl! Every penny helps, right?! :)

I gave up high priced Tide for Member's Mark laundry detergent from Sam's - and you know what, I really like it and quite honestly, don't really notice a difference, except the $10 in price.

I'm also trying to use less paper towel - I'm ADDICTED to paper towels - so I'm noticing some savings there, as well.

BTW, what's your first name? I couldn't find it on your blog?
Jenn said…
I agree... It is so true. I love the easy sun screen, but it is way too expensive now
thesixburghmom said…
Oh my goodness, E! I had the same dialog with myself in Target over the same exact thing...lol. It stinks to coat five kids with the standard stuff, but the $8 price tag was a killer.

I started making our own laundry soap. I spent $10 on supplies and I will easily get 15 gallons of laundry soap out of it. And that lasts a while, even in our house...lol. And I'm also a recovering paper towel addict.

One things for certain, we are learning to be more "green" simply because we can't afford the alternatives. Pretty soon, I'm going to turn into my grandma and hang used tea bags on the handles of my cabinets to dry...and be used again...lol!
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry about your sunscreen switch. I am also a fan of the spray. I am doing my part by switching from my favorite expensive spaghetti sauce to the cheap, yucky stuff and adding some extras to make it not so yucky. We go through a lot of pasta with three boys and a husband who burns 10,000,000 calories a day. :)
Oh, and thanks for the tip about the stretch canvasses. I am going to order one. Great idea!
june cleaver said…
Oh My! I could never go back to rubbing sunscreen on again... I don't care if we have to WALK to the pool! I did once make the mistake of buying the spray lotion that you had to rub in after you sprayed it on. That was a very cranky 2 weeks for me let me tell you.
Rob said…
i do my part, when i take the kids to the pool i always forget to but sunscreen on the kids. fortunatley they have the dark skin from my italian roots....

Sam does her part by buying cheap sunscreen

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...