Skip to main content

STATE MEET Day 2

At pool by 6:45am

Warm-ups from 7-8am
Parade of athletes shortly after
Meet began at 8:30am


Preliminaries take place in the morning (several heats for each event). The top 8 swimmers for each event go onto the finals which take place in the late afternoon/evening.

{k}'s 1st event was the 50M free . This is a long course meet and the pool is actually 50M(Olympic length) ... so that is one lap. Her seed time 37.63 (which was just shy of an A time). She swam her heat in 34.69 (skipping the A time and going straight to a AA time). We were all psyched. She is now 1 second away from a AAA time ... that is zone cuts. The heats were all circle seating (top swimmers in the middle two lanes of the 8 lane pool). For this event {k} swam next to the top swimmer ... {k} was ranked 6th. At the end of the heats she qualified 5th and was set for the evening finals.


{e} swam two individual events and two relays over the course of the two days ... swimming 50M and 100M Free. She did her best times which was pretty good considering she spent the week before OUT of the pool. She did not place top 8th, but she dropped times which was GREAT!

{k}'s next event was the 50M FLY. This is probably her weakest event, but she ended up seated at 7th and finished 8th. Her seed time was 43.50 and she got 42.45 (still a BB time, but oh so close to a A time).


The 200M Free was the 3rd individual of the morning (that is the max you can swim). {k} was 5th in this event. Her time dropped from 2:55.84 to 2:51.96 (still an A time, but within 1.5 seconds from her AA time).


AFTER the 3 individual events we headed home for some R&R ... about a 3 hour break.


4-5pm warmups
5pm ... the start of the finals.


Results for {k}'s finals were:

6th place overall for 50M Free (her time was not as good as her prelim ... 35.52)
7th place overall for 50M FLY (her time was slightly bettered ... 42.21)
5th place overall for 200M Free (her time was bettered ... 2:50.28 AA time!)


*This evening finals was slightly marred by some bad stomach cramps (between her free and fly events). We nearly scratched her FLY event, but {k} sucked it up and did her best ... going on to improve her times in FLY and the 200 FREE. I do think the pressure got to her a little after she didn't better her 50 Free time ... she SO WANTED that ZONE CUT :( I am still amazed and proud at how well she did!


Finishing off the evening was the 200M medley relay. {k}'s 50M FREE time was the 4th best of all our teams swimmers so she made the top relay. Relays are final events (no preliminaries). {K} was set to swim last. A medley goes ... back, breast, fly, and then free. Before the race, we all knew that this race could produce a STATE RECORD based on the individual times IF each girl swam at their best. {k} finished the race and BEAT the STATE RECORD TIME ... how cool is that!

GREAT DAY! ... long, tiring, emotional, but wonderful. We all went home to eat a little dinner and then headed off to bed (rather late ... 9:45pm).


DAY 3 to follow later ...

Comments

southernjoy said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
southernjoy said…
OOPS.. you don't have to post that if you don't want. I just realized I used her whole name...
Sorry!
Rob said…
wow they are great swimmers. i really admire people who can swim well. I can swim for miles but i'm silly slow. (I barely break 40 seconds for an all out 50m).

Conragts!

Looking forward to the Day 3 report.


ps - read '50m Fly' as '500m Fly'. I was like oh my what are they doing to those poor kids :)
momto5minnies said…
{j} ... that's okay. I went back and changed my wording. {k} BEAT the STATE record for Girls 10/U Medley Relay. Of course 3 other girls helped out ;)

ROB ... I cannot even imagine a 500M Fly. That would take super human strength. I don't think even olympians compete for that length in that stroke. Maybe a 400.

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...