Skip to main content

It's been a little quiet over here

For the last 4 years I find I am a little nutty the 2 weeks leading up to school. Last year may have been a little calmer ... only 2 going to "school" and the other 2 were homeschooled. I had a lot less supplies to gather, but then I did feel the first time pressure of lesson planning.

Some people have asked about our changes and I am not sure I can fully articulate our reasons for sending all the girls back to "school". I'll give it a try though.

A little history ...

We moved to our current state back in '05. In the years prior, they (I guess it was only the oldest 2) went to public school. We had a great public school that I did really like. Aside from {e}'s 4th grade teacher, I was pretty happy with the teachers and the school atmosphere. When we moved here, we were warned of the terrible public schools and in our incredible state of being hurried (finding out that we are moving halfway across the country and actually doing it within a 7 week time frame) we enrolled the three oldest in the nearby Catholic school. It was a big adjustment (for me mostly). While I thoroughly loved the Catholic teachings that my girls were given, I had grown a lot unhappy with the other education. As the parent, I felt I was the only advocate for my children. There was nobody who wanted more for my girls or who felt they needed help in certain subjects. It was incredibly frustrating to me.

Last year I decided to take 2 of my 4 girls (that were school aged) out of our Catholic school and homeschool them. Some people may wonder why I didn't take them all out. I guess I didn't feel smart or experienced enough. I wanted to ease into homeschooling and see how it worked out. The year was very good in so many ways. Seeing how my girls learned, understanding their strengths/weaknesses, and spending all that time with them was really wonderful.

So why would I change that????????

I am not anti-school. I guess there are a lot of homeschooling parents out there who are ... some who will admit it and some who don't. I never knew much about homeschooling before I tried it. In our old state, I just never knew anyone who took on that form of education for their child(ren). My current state has tons of homeschoolers. As a young married mother, I always thought I had a "plan", but now that just seems silly. Life comes at you sometimes and flexibility is key. I homeschooled because I felt it would work well for my girls and I needed to take action ... for their education and well being.

I think I would have continued to homeschool (at least {k}), but some different opportunities came up that I felt we needed to try. Some other homeschooling parents will say that God called them to homeschool and I admire their strong belief in knowing that. For me, I felt like God was calling me to make a change for my girls ... one that would involve acting in their best interest. I've done that before and I feel I am doing it again.

SO, my girls are all going to "school" this year. None of them will attend our Catholic school. The older two will go to one school and the 3rd and 4th will go to our brand new (just opening) public school. Even little {c} who is just "3" will go to preschool for 2 mornings a week. I am REALLY VERY EXCITED this year. I am also a little nervous, but I think that is normal with change.

This coming year also brings on a new role for me ... a 5th grade catechist . For a while now I have wanted to be more involved in our Church and in my faith. One day I got a call from the director of PRE (parish religious education) and she asked if I would prayerfully consider teaching. Actually she asked if my husband and I would like to team up ... she had just been to a current RCIA class and listened to my husband talk about his conversion. I told her I would accept, but my husband probably couldn't commit. We need one parent who could handle our crazy swim meet schedule during the school year. I am nervously excited for my new role. Of course if you feel like praying for me, I wouldn't mind one bit ;)

Well, there you have it. I was just going to say I have been busy, but I gave you a little more.

*Just another little note. I hope this doesn't come across as sounding negative or anti-Catholic schools. Really it is not.
**And another note. I know I am capable of teaching my children. No way do I doubt my abilities. I teach my children everyday, and I would homeschool again if I felt it was best.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is a busy time with us too.

I hope you enjoy being a catechist. I loved it when I taught the Jr students at our old parish.
Anonymous said…
As with all things to do with parenting, lots of other people can have opinions but no-one knows your children like you do! You are doing the right thing for them and that is all that matters. School is a service that is available if you want to use it. That is how I like to look at it. We chose not to use that service because it isn't right for us, but I would never question anyone who does.
I am sure you will all settle back in easily - even if it does start in the middle of August! Which wouldn't be a problem right now in the UK because they weather is terrible!! LOL!
Christine said…
I think it is so cute and kind of funny how you wrote those little small type comments at the end. I do not think you need to defend yourself at all! There are some very good public school systems out there. The reason we moved to our town was because of that. My oldest is going into a public middle school...I have no concerns because he has a very very good mother and father who are helping him develop his knowledge of the faith at home. We live our faith....we love it and understand it.

I am also thinking of teaching CCD this year. I did it a long time ago and took a break.

SO go for it......I think your girls will be just fine.
Sarah said…
There are many moms out there that do the same thing (or at least contemplate the homeschooling thing). I am not crazy about the parochial school I send my kids to, but constantly weigh the alternatives and decide what works for each kid. There are complicated pros and cons of each choice (public, parochial, homeschool) and I think we are just being thoughtful parents when we make these choices.
Good luck! I wish there was a perfect school. I guess that would look different to everyone!
momto5minnies said…
You said that very well Sarah!!!!
Rob said…
I'm anti-school, I'll admit it. I hated school from k-4 years of college. Sam and I would personally never want to put our kids in school, homeschool as worked out too well for us.

But I don't think everyone should hoemschool either. You do want you feel is best for your famlily and the heck with what everyone thinks.

Are the girls excited about the new school year?

Have fun doing the catechist gig!
momto5minnies said…
Rob ... I did not like school either, but my personality and ways are quite different from my girls. I do not like a lot that goes on within the schools today (or yesterday). Hopefully I can keep the communication open with my children and know if things are not going well. I really believe homeschooling is wonderful, but I did not start it from the beginning. Many times I would wonder if I was doing enough or doing what I was doing well enough. Part of that has to deal with being engrained with rules and mindset of traditional school. Also, living the life of school/homeschool was a bit challenging ... especially when i didn't always have the support of certain family members. I am really glad to hear that you are happy with homeschooling ... it is totally working for you and your family.
southernjoy said…
I hope the girls (and you!) have a wonderful year.

I bet you'll love teaching at church. I'll be leading children's church once per month and I'm looking foward to it, too!
Unknown said…
I had totally forgotten your move had come about that fast. YIKES!

I hope each of your girls has a great school year. And good luck with teaching at your church! That sounds exciting!

{W}
Laura said…
Hello- I think you knew I would be chiming in on this.
If one of the goals of parenting is to meet the physical and spiritual needs of children...then I believe that is exactly what you are doing. Of my 6 siblings families, 2 families homeschool, 2 go to Catholic school, and 1 goes to public. The reason 1 goes to public is because they have identical twins and their Catholic school only has ONE class per grade. That wouldn't work for them. And , it turns out that their public school is terrific- challenging and exciting.
9 of my nieces and nephews have been homeschool. I wonder about 1 or 2 of them- whether it is a good idea. But the others? They are taking on the world...life is a big banquet of opportunity mainly because of the solid, spiritual education they received from homeschooling. Education is NOT a one size fits all. We need to have a variety of structures for children to learn since learners come in variety.

Yes!!! Be a catechist. Our Church needs you. If your husband can't assist you, find a high schooler to be your aide. I did that when I was a senior in high school and I loved it. I taught 5th grade for 5 years. They are a perfect, fun grade to teach.

Blessings to you and your new adventures.
Rose said…
Hi! This is the first time I've commented on your blog. I've been reading for awhile. We have been in a similar situation. My kids started out in Catholic school in Philadelphia, but then we moved across the country a few years ago. The first area we lived in had superb public schools and we were very happy. I found that praying for the teacher they would have for the school year worked very well, we had good Christian teachers that were in teaching because they loved it. The whole school had a real positive atmosphere about it. Then we moved to a different area in the same county and the school was just terrible. I had my kids in there three weeks and decided to call our parish and see if we could get them in there. They attended our parish school the last three years, but things there are not all perfect-- there are many things that we are not happy with. The tuition and gas are really starting to become a financial burden. So this year I have my middle school child in a public school and the two younger ones still in the Catholic school. I'm very nervous about having him in public middle school, if it doesn't go well then I may be homeschooling next year. I just try to keep our options open and see what will work. My middle schooler is an accelerated learner and his needs are never quite met at school. We try to supplement at home and by getting him involved in activities such as theater and sports. Anyway, you are definitely not alone out there! This is a big decision and sometimes it isn't so clear cut, you have to weigh everything and just make the best decision for your family-- sometimes the best decision still isn't ideal but it is the best for now. Sorry for the rambling, I really related to this post!
Anonymous said…
Hi,
I'm back to reading my regular blogs. Glad you posted about this. I was curious. I am excited for you this year. It sounds like you have made a good choice. I think a great benefit for having home schooled last year is that now you and the girls know what home schooling is like and know that if they are ever in the position that they need a school change, you would be willing to bring them home.
I struggle with the homeschooling choice. I am not anti-public school in general. I am anti SOME public schools though. We've had great ones, and we've had some really poor ones. It just depends. I take each child individually and assess, pray, and ponder what would be best for them. So far, this year we will continue education at home. Who knows? Next year may change. We'll see how it goes.
Anyway, I am excited for you. I hope this year will be fantastic for everyone!
Good comments! You have a very balanced view. You dont need to apologize to anyone, you truly are the best in knowing whats good for your sweetie's!
Keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...