Skip to main content

This morning I felt like a helicopter parent ...

I'm sure you have heard of the term ...

A helicopter parent is a term for a person who pays extremely close attention to his or her child or children, particularly at educational institutions. They rush to prevent any harm or failure from befalling them or letting them learn from their own mistakes, sometimes even contrary to the children's wishes. They are so named because, like a helicopter, they hover closely overhead, rarely out of reach, whether their children need them or not. 

Last night was one of those crazy evenings ... rushing to and from swim practice,  trying to make dinner and bathe 2 little children before heading to a bible study.  I left my husband in charge of homework and bed.  While at my bible study my 10 year old texted me saying that she needed a mushroom for science.  So at 9:30pm I am stopping at the local grocery store to pick one up.  When I got home I put it in the refrigerator.  My daughter was already in bed.

This morning I do my usual reminders ... "do you have EVERYTHING  you need?"  I got the usual "yes".  As I pull up to the school, my daughter asks if I can please bring a mushroom before 8th period today.  Arghhhhhhhhhh!  I bought the mushroom and it was still at home in the fridge.  I am angry now ... not saying the nicest of things.  I then tell my daughter that I will rush home and for her to meet me outside and I will hand it to her.

I drive home like a maniac hitting every red light imagineable.  I get back to the school just one minute before the first bell.

She has her mushroom ... she is happy.

I am frustrated because I am not sure I did the right thing.  Part of me feels like it may have been a bit of my fault by not telling her that I bought her mushroom, but then I also feel like maybe she should have asked me this morning IF I got what she needed.  I also drove all the way home when I probably should have just stopped at the nearest grocery store to get a new mushroom,  I just wasn't thinking clearly.

I do not want to be one of those parents who comes to the rescue of their child all the time.  My children need to learn and I need to let them.  It is hard being manager of a large home and as much as I would love a life with little mistakes and with no things forgotten ... it cannot fall on my shoulders all of the time.

(((SIGH))))

Today I need to come up with some ideas to help my girls be more independent.  
Tonight ... FAMILY MEETING!

Comments

Christine said…
Oh kids are kids. I did that last year when Zach forgot his pillow for the play his was in. "It's my only prop" he said. So I flew home 6 miles and back for this boy.

You wouldn't believe how many times people have saved me. I am a grownup and still leave things at other peoples homes. It is just this crazy insane busy life we lead that has us running hither-tither.

I think you did the right thing.
Sarah said…
I would have totally brought that d--- mushroom in too. So don't feel bad. Now there are instances when you need to NOT do that, like a repeated offender constantly leaving a notebook at home, but that was a special "mushroom" occasion. Too bad you couldn't find some wild ones on the school grounds!
Rob said…
I love mushrooms. In salads, on pizza's, fried, in omlets etc...
If I lived at your house the shroom would have been eaten for breakfast and you daughter would have really been up the creek.

Hey you can't be expected to remember everything for them...You are doing great...hang in there...maybe go for a run or two
Unknown said…
I probably would have done the same thing...grumbling all the way. Oh wait, I did just do the same thing with an oboe. :)

{M} made a point of putting her oboe by her backpack the night before last and then still managed to leave the house in the morning without it. She actually didn't call me for it...probably didn't want to hear me complain but I brought it to school. But get this? I dropped it at the front desk. A message appears on television monitors dispersed throughout the school notifying students of messages/dropped off items. She didn't manage to notice her name on the television screen until sixth hour...band was third hour. So as she played the air oboe during band, her real oboe was sitting in the school office. How can such a smart child be so absent minded? UGH!

{W}
Laura said…
We all need a "get out of jail free" card once in a while. Maybe you could decide that she used hers for the semester.
If a family is "working on it" as far as trying to organize their homework routine and supplies preparation, I try to give wiggle room for that. I know it's hard to swing back into the school year.
The problem is that there are SO many parents that don't see the problem. They like "coming to the rescue" and this is not helpful to anyone really. Today, a father brought in a book for his son, gave it to the office and told them to give it to me (his advisor) so I would find him and give it to him. The problem was that I did not have a single free period for the rest of the day, so I could not. I don't feel bad about that. (Sorry) And the reason is that this is habitual behavior for this family. I love them, but they really need to help their kids become independent. Can I send them to your family meeting?
Anonymous said…
I agree that once in a while is okay. It is when it is all the time that it is a problem. C forgot her math book last week, I drove her to the school to get it. I probably won't if it happens again soon, she'll have to face the consequences. That is life. My friend is a college professor. She is appalled at the kids coming in now, she says many expect things handed to them, rearranged for them and have had Mom and Dad doing and orchestrating everything for them that they have a real entitled mentality. It drives her nuts.
Colleen said…
I feel your pain...I think the reason parents do things like this for their children is because the schools are asking the kids to do things they can't do on their own.

Therefore, the school is actually asking the parents to complete these tasks, and if it doesn't get done, it is ultimately our fault, not the kids.

We don't want our kids to get in trouble for something we feel is at least partly our fault, so we help them out.

Of course we want to teach them responsibility, but in the end, do we want our child fondly remember all the times Mom came to the rescue, or feel resentful that we didn't help out?

It's a tough call, and I guess finding the balance is the answer. Good luck with your meeting! You're doing great :-)
southernjoy said…
I would've done it too. Like others are saying... it's not the same as a child who is always irresponsible.

This part made me laugh:
I also drove all the way home when I probably should have just stopped at the nearest grocery store to get a new mushroom, I just wasn't thinking clearly

I know I would've done the exact same thing!

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...