AND I NEED TO GET OFF THE COMPUTER TO DO THAT ;)
A friend of mine shared this article . It really had me thinking. I didn't grow up with a lot. My mom was a SAHM like I am, but my Dad didn't make the money that my husband makes. My parents gave us what we needed, but not a whole lot of what we wanted unless it was our birthday or Christmas. My mother would rarely buy clothes for herself ... she made sure we were better clothed. I can understand that to some extent. I know that I will do for my children more than myself, but I also know that I am way more spoiled than my own mother was. If I think I or the girls need something I usually get it (if it is of reasonable cost). This mindset has got to change.
It seems that our society feels like we "deserve" things ... new cars, new clothes for every season, big houses, fancy memberships, etc. It is so easy to get sucked into that way of thinking. A little while back my husband and I talked about Dave Ramsey's method. We made too many excuses not to try it, but maybe, just maybe, he has the right answer to handling the money issues that we (and many other families) are dealing with.
On a completely different note ... check out this super clever lady
Yesterday she discussed how she has a little problem with EXECUTING her plans.
ME TOO!
Time to get out the dusty old planner that hasn't been opened in the last month (I usually just look at the calendar on my Mac).
Time also to get off this computer because I know I have a lot to do.
No more excuses ...
Comments
I am working on balancing my life between ...enjoying it, but also not feeling as though I DESERVE things.
I drive a 1997 car. And I am very very proud of that.
My biggest greedy factor seems to be from my need to travel.
I'm not sure under what category that would fit, but I may have some "entitlement" issues there.
Good post, Elaine.
I totaly agree the only thing we really deserve are running shoes...everything else is just a want.
Not familair with the Dave Ramsey dude but after looking at his website and those 7 principles on the home page, we do all but one of them. The one about savings for the kids eduction. with 11 kids I ain't even trying to do that. they all know that they are own their own for anything beyond HS