
I probably shouldn't speak too soon, but I am so glad to see this child
READING. Last night I told her that as much as we love to read to her, she really needs to pick out a chapter book and start one by herself. Off to her bookshelf she went ... she picked out a Magic Treehouse book (probably a little easy for her grade level, but I won't protest). She then read about 4 chapters last night. This morning she walked around the house with a book in her hand and then sat at the end of our driveway still reading while waiting for the bus.
MAYBE things just "clicked" and she will be my little bookworm.
I HOPE (and pray).
Comments
I have NO bookworms over here. My daughter, if she finds the right book, is all over it. My two boys - not so much.
I agree with wenderful - cute braids! :)
Don't worry about the level of reading...for some of us..reading is emotional. I used to check out Pippi Longstocking, Ramona the Pest and a book called Laura's Luck...over and over again. My mother would worry but then she realized that I simply enjoyed their company. They made me laugh.
I search high and low for books that students can relate to. I never really believe it when someone tells me they don't like to read. I always assume that they just haven't found the right genre.
Great day.
My oldest is just starting to enjoy reading. As a voracious reader myself, I have been waiting for this day!
About the reading level...I am starting to think it is overrated. I didn't think that a year ago...so worried that the older girls had what they needed to challenge them. Reading levels. Lexile scores. Blah, blah, blah. I guess my thoughts changed some with {M} and realizing there are so many good books below her reading level that she has not read and would enjoy SHe is enjoying one right now...The Mysterious Benedict Society which is around a sixth grade level, I think. There is nothing wrong with reading for enjoyment!
{W}
I love it when they make that 'turn around'. my 2nd dd doesnt really enjoy reading, although she has enjoyed some books that she's *had* to read.
this yr for history, that's all she is doing is reading living history books. the first book she *had* to read was a lengthy SHADOW HAWK - it was extremely difficult for her to get into, but much to my surprise and joy, toward the end she *wanted* to read it and told me how 'good it's getting'! Now she's on her 2nd ancient Egypt living book and loving it! So rich!!
Long Live Bookworms!!