I feel like one of those adults in the Charlie Brown cartoons ... "mwa, mwa, mwa, mwa ...."
Of course the children living here think I speak a foreign language, but even the students that I teach in Sunday school just don't seem to hear me.
Yesterday was Epiphany Sunday. I started off the lesson with a discussion about the meaning of epiphany, why we celebrate it, and we even did a small craft. I then went onto our regular lesson ... more that they didn't really pay attention to. No one seemed to be able to do the review questions at the end.
The big kicker ... so embarrassing to me, was when one of our Deacons came to our classroom to do a blessing. He asked about 4 questions and only one child answered the very last one. I really looked like the teacher who didn't prepare her students (argh).
HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO ... how come no one seems to hear what I have to say?
This whole religious education thing is starting to get me down. Students just show up occasionally and very little listening takes place. I'm starting to have mixed feelings. Part of me thinks that what I am doing is still very important, but part of me feels like maybe someone else would be better for this "volunteer" job.
((((SIGH)))))
Comments
I run a Youth Group for our Church aimed at 14+ age group and I sometimes feel exactly as your post.
But do keep on going and just occasionally maybe like I find, there will be a week where they surprise you and you realise "Wow, some of this stuff is really sinking in!"
Keep teaching em....some stuff will stick in their little brains
No worries...
Enjoy joy today!