Skip to main content

10 years ago ...

I was a mommy living in California with 2 small children.  My days were mostly quiet, but busy taking care of my girls.  We played in the house, went for walks, had park play dates, went to the store, and did some cleaning.  Occasionally I would get together with a MOMS group ... taking turns at different homes.  My brother and SIL (at the time) lived there and we would gather at each other's homes for meals.

What I didn't do 10 years ago ...
  • check email
  • internet search and shop
  • participate in a mommy board
  • google
  • blog
  • facebook
There are days TODAY that I feel like my time on this computer is way too much.  I realize that many other moms (and dads) feel like this too.  However, I do know one thing and that is, I feel less alone.  No, I don't really know all the people who respond on my blog and there is a great chance that I will never meet many of the "friends" that I have found on the computer.  

At the end of the day, I don't feel quite as sad when I find myself spending the entire day JUST with my children and NOT with any other adult (until evening hours with the husband).  Years ago when I didn't have this computer to look at, I know that my husband would occasionally be dealing with a crying wife who complained about not having enough friends, never getting to do anything for herself, and feeling lonely.

Now, I do know that people (like myself) need real life friends that we can get together with, but I do think that this thing called the computer has made a huge impact on the life of mothers.  I know that I am really grateful for that!

Comments

Rose said…
I totally agree! Especially for people who have to move frequently for their job or other reason, which takes them away from their friends and family. I started out online 9 or 10 years ago at MomsOnline and met a group of ladies that I still keep in touch with today! I've met many of them in person, but I do feel a connection to all of them. I also consider all the blogs I visit to be my "friends". I pray for them, think of them, inspired by them, and grateful for them. I also feel less lonely at those times when I can just turn on the computer and see what's going on in their lives. Thanks for such a great post, you are one of my "friends" online!
Aimee said…
My thoughts exactly!! My older son is 12 and I've been a stay-at-home mom since he was born. I remember feeling so alone and sad and having many crying spells. The internet can be a wonderful thing! I never really thought about it until I read your blog, but yes, it can make a difference for us moms out there.
Me too! I enjoy having my real life friends, but I love the ones I have made here too. A kind comment always brings a smile to my face. My husband travels all the time for work, so sometimes this is the only adult conversation I will have all day!

XOXO
Jen
Rita said…
I also agree. For me, finding friends who are going through the same thing as I am has been such a blessing. I never knew there would be so many friends on a blog. I am really enjoying everyones encouragement and commits. I love being able to answer back to you guys too. : )
Katie said…
So true! I just like to see "real" people in the blog world - I am sick of all the Hollywood junk!! And of course I love, love to check out Catholic blogs!
southernjoy said…
I, for one, and very thankful for my internet friends!

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...