Let's see ...
I've lost some weight ... about 9 pounds, but I do think it will not be any more. I find myself eating more often than I was even just a week ago. Yesterday I made a really yummy cheesy baked potato soup that had lots of fattening stuff in it. I'm sure I'll be eating that for a few days.
The brushing of teeth part of this whole jaw surgery thing has been tough, but I do see it getting better. Because I can't open my mouth fully it is harder to get the toothbrush everywhere. I can't really floss yet and the water pik (my oh so important cleaner with braces) is still off limits until week 4.
While my mouth was not wired shut, I do wear some heavy rubber bands that prevent me from opening my mouth more than 1/4 inch. Thankfully I can take them out to eat, but for the most part I wear them 23 hours a day. It makes talking a bit harder. I mumble a lot and my jaws really are exhausted by the end of the day. I seriously just shut down around 7pm. Hopefully this gets easier with time.
The bruising is gone on my face and neck, but I still have swelling. My left side profile looks way better than the right side. For some reason the swelling hasn't really gone down that much on the right. The oral surgeon did say that my right side was a little harder to work with ... nerves and muscles. I'm still trying to get used to my new look and do hope that it gets better in time. Because my upper jaw was moved out, I actually have a more prominent upper lip and my nose which used to be straight, has a slight turn-up ... it looks a little smaller from the side too. It is going to take a while before I get back all the feeling in my face. Right now I can feel my upper lip (although it is tingly), but not my bottom lip. My nose is pretty numb too. The whole right side of my face has a tingly feeling. I can't really smile all that well. With a closed mouth the smile looks okay, but if I try to do a cheese smile with my teeth ... it just looks WEIRD. I guess I just have to give myself more time.
Today I have another appointment with the oral surgeon. I think I will get to take the rubber bands off for more hours in the daytime, but we will see. Hopefully he says that things are going well with me.
Comments
Have a good weekend!
Jen
You'll get there -- and remember we're all out here rooting for you!
Hope it goes well at the oral surgeon today.
W
I am sad that you have to go through all this and it's reminding me of a friend from high school who yawned one day and her whole jaw snapped out of place.
She had to have her jaw wired and have surgery etc.
I never remember reading how this started.
Don't want to be nosey...but....
I guess I do want to be nosey.
Bless you bunches!
Hope you had a good appt. Can't wait to see the new you.