I'm not positive, but I think he may have done it for attention ... that's how smart this Border Collie is.
Just prior to the "adventures", I was telling my lovely children how they are not doing a good job at taking care of their animals ... this is TRUE! My summer has been anything, but relaxing with a new puppy and a large one at that. I spoke (in a firm voice) how they need to walk, play, FEED, and clean up their dogs messes or I would soon have them make "for adoption" signs. This of course works as a temporary guilt trip and they then proceeded to put the leash on the puppy. I'm not sure if they intended to take the older dog for a walk, but he had other plans and OFF HE WENT ...
A few things to point out ...
- Border Collies run very fast
- Children in hysterics don't think clearly. I had one 7 year old writing a "missing" sign within minutes. A certain 9 year old (who also runs fast) went randomly down the streets of the neighborhood ... good thing she came home.
THANKFULLY, my Border Collie wears a collar with tags that are current. About 40 minutes after he went missing, a teenage boy called me on my cell phone to ask if I were missing a dog. YES!!!!!!
I drove to this house ... miles from my own and in a completely different development. When I saw Comet he seemed ready to leave with me, but I swear he spoke to me with those Border Collie eyes that seemed to say "YOU BETTER START GIVING ME SOME LOVE or I'LL REALLY FIND MYSELF A NEW HOME!"
GUILT ... lots of guilt.
Before we got our puppy (the Australian Dane named "Auggie"), Comet ruled our house. He was doted on like he was a PRINCE. Now poor Comet shares his home with this crazy, deaf dog ...
If you've not read the Pioneer Woman's post on her newest Border Collie, you've got to go visit. She titled her post "Tolerant" and that seems to be exactly the way Comet feels about Auggie. He isn't entirely "thrilled" by this new puppy who is big, clumsy, and bites his neck (just like
in PW's post) ALL THE TIME. Comet now has to eat his food quickly so that Auggie (who vacuums up food) doesn't get to his chow. He has to share his land (the backyard) with a dog that poops all over and messes up his running tracks.
We've got to be a little kinder to Comet. I really think he ran away on purpose. This dog has left our house, but when called returns quickly ... he is smart. This run away adventure was a doggie who left and didn't even care to turn around. He was off on a mission.
Sorry COMET ... we still love our first PUPPY :)
Comments
Glad to see and hear the pooch is back home safe and sound and loved.