Skip to main content

Productive day at my house ...


There were things I wanted to get done all summer, but of course they didn't happen
UNTIL TODAY

I needed to clean out the craft closet, clean up my sun room which also seems to house a lot of crafts, and then organize my new learning room which will be in my dining room this year. I decided with the new puppy I can't do "school" upstairs in our playroom/learning room. I think it will work out better being downstairs ... less running up and down for me ;) I moved around some bookshelves and placed them in our dining room to house the books and some of the crafty stuff that we may use more often.


In the middle of all my organizing. We noticed how many darn crayons we have ... some broken or just not "new" enough. We decided to do something fun for the little ones and make some Crayola Crayon Scribblers. Basically you peel off the paper of the crayons and break them into small pieces.


Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Then you stick the broken crayons in little muffin pans (I had both tin and silicone mini muffin pans).
After the oven heats up, place the muffin pans on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes ... until the crayons turn liquid. *Excuse the oven which seems to need a little self-cleaning.

When the crayons appear melted, remove the pan from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before sticking inside the freezer. I then left the pans in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. After that, I easily removed the scribblers from the muffin pan. Not sure why, but some of the scribblers broke in my first batch.

Still they turned out pretty cool and my girls were very excited to use them!

A GOOD DAY!!!!!

Comments

Kim H. said…
Elaine,

I have never seen such a thing -- you know, I live under a rock. What a great idea for all those yucky, broken crayons.

The sad reality is that I could probably find a whole muffin pan's worth at the bottom of my purse!

Can't wait to do these with the kiddos!

Way to go on the organization. It looks beautious!
What an interesting idea for crayons!!
Maurisa said…
Our 16 year old will make melted crayon cakes with her little siblings. These are their favorite crayons to use.

Hope you have a Blessed school year!
Unknown said…
Cool Crayon thingies! Thank you for including the directions in your post. We will have to try that someday!

W
thesixburghmom said…
Looks great, Elaine! I'm jealous that you can keep writing utensils on the bottom shelf...lol. I swear Kylie has colored every surface in this house. Its much easier to keep tabs on pencils, markers and crayons when you don't have older kids who *need* to use them. Darn two-year-olds...lol. The crayon scribblers are a great idea. She could cover more wall surface with those...lol. I'm kidding. I was actually thinking of melting them down into candles, but this looks like a better idea. We have lots and lots of broken crayons. I might do this.

I've been working on organizing our school space this week too. Still have a lot to do, but I did get the art drawers and cabinet cleaned out. That was a BIG step.
Oh, and I don't blame you for schooling in the dining room. I think that's the best place, really. Its so much more central to the action. I hate being cooped up in the back of the house or in a bedroom. We actually moved our one couch and tv to the dining room area and put our school room in the main living room. We have a family room that is huge and we put our dining room table in there with the big couches. I like this arrangement.

Boy, I've gone on and on, haven't I? LOL!
Christine said…
Never tried melting the crayons. They do look like cool colors! Kudos for all the hard work done.

Good luck with school!
Anonymous said…
What an excellent idea! And they are so pretty, too :)
southernjoy said…
We do those crayons in little heart silicone pans for v-day.. they've been classroom favors a couple of times now. The best thing is that the boys will sit at the table FOREVER peeling paper off of crayons, LOL!
I've heard about doing that, but I have never seen the finished product....looks really cool. We're going to have to try that one some day.

I also love how organized your shelves look, nice job!
Mary N. said…
Wow! You are organized! My house does not look anything like this. I could melt the crayons if I could find the crayons. Anyway...many of them have already melted in my car:)
Sarah said…
I like your clear jars with all the art and writing utensils! Very cute!!

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...