Skip to main content

TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY ...

Sometimes this rectangular piece of equipment drives me nuts. Like when the same Disney shows are shown over and over again. A mom like me can get tired of watching Hannah Montana get a speeding ticket ... ugh.


Sometimes I think I hear beeps, chirps, and other various sounds in my sleep. During the daytime hours, those sounds most likely come from the handy dandy 24/7 mini-computer/phone/ texting device. I remember when I didn't own one, or didn't hardly use it except for emergencies ;)

Sometimes this magnetic screen sucks me and other family members into it for countless hours (over the course of a day). The lovely machine with an apple on it is oh so delicious. However, one can devour it for all of its entertaining value, and never really fill up. CURSE that APPLE!



The machines (today's technology) are awesome. They entertain, they connect you with the world, and they provide information. I also love them because when I am feeling needy, they are there to comfort me.

BUT!

Sometimes they rip away hours of my day.
Sometimes they turn my good mood into an angry one.
Sometimes they also make me sad, stressed, nervous, tired, and frustrated.

WHICH leads me up to an idea that I got from Greg Willits ("The Catholics Next Door"). Over the last few months he and his lovely wife Jennifer have started a new Sunday tradition called "tech-free Sunday". They don't use computers, television, cell phones, video games, etc. Basically, they live like someone would have BEFORE TELEVISION. They just hang with their children, go to Church, and do a little bit of this and that around the house.

When I first heard about "tech-free Sunday", I thought it sounded wonderful, but potentially HARD. My children might drive me crazy with whining ... "I have nothing to do". My husband might slip up and use that iphone to check his football games. I myself might walk past the computer thinking that I just need to check one thing. IT'S always ONE THING ...LOL!

So we tried it this past weekend.
How did it go?

Well, I woke up at 6:30am ... knowing that it was the very first Sunday that I was teaching religious ed. to the 5th graders at our PRE program at Church. The start of that is 9:10am. So, when I woke up I made my coffee. The house was silent ... ahhhhhh, just lovely. For a quick second, I thought I could sneak on that computer and nobody would even know. However, I remained strong. I took my coffee and the Sunday paper that sat outside my front door. It was a glorious QUIET. I drank my coffee and read the paper.

40 minutes passed and the dogs woke up, the children came down, and I needed to pull that husband of mine out of bed. He got up and got his coffee while I showered, dressed, ate breakfast, and helped my girls get ready for Sunday school. I then grabbed all of my stuff and took 4 girls to Church, taught class, and then met my husband and littlest one at Church for 10:30am mass.

We went to MASS, then we followed it with a little snack at Panera Bread.

So far so good ...

THEN, we came home. The house needed a clean up. We changed out of our Church clothes. Daddy fixed a toilet, Mommy did a laundry load, girls did their chores. It was going pretty well. We all kept busy ... playing, cleaning a little, baking chocolate chip cookies, preparing Chicken and Biscuits (YUM ... I'll have to share this recipe later), and just hangin' out.

Daddy cheated a little. He NEEDED to catch up on some work and he WANTED to watch a little football while he did it. UGH ... that DADDY!

OVERALL, I really think the day was a good one.

On a normal weekend, I will admit that sometimes it stresses me out to see my girls being couch potatoes. This is just a weekend thing though. During the school year, we have a no TV rule during the M-Thursday time. TV might go on for an hour while I cook dinner and later at night, but that is it. It makes me sad when my older daughter gets on the computer ... that's when I see a little bit of addiction starting (like mother, like daughter). It frustrates me when my house on the weekend looks like a complete MESS. Some chores are meant for weekend time and when they don't get done, I GO A LITTLE NUTTY.

I really liked that there wasn't the extra "noise" of wanting, needing, watching, listening, and talking on all those TECHNOLOGICAL TOYS! I felt CALMER. When you go, go, GO like me all the time, it's just SO NICE to feel less anxiety.

THIS COULD WORK.

All except for our DAD.
You see, it is FOOTBALL SEASON.
THIS DADDY of ours lives with a house of girls who SWIM.
THIS DADDY NEEDS his FOOTBALL.
I LOVE THIS MAN.
SO ...
we may need to make adjustments.

Tech-free Saturday perhaps?


Comments

Josh said…
Good for you!! I love the idea!
Unknown said…
I think this sounds like a fabulous idea although my husband would have the football issue too. ;)

Good luck with your tech-free Sundays!
Unknown said…
Oh, and the other day, I noticed my 8th grader had been on FB before school! STINKER!

W
Christine said…
We are backwoods people. We live out in the country so we are outside most of the time. For some reason I have always had the tv off. The kids do not get computer time...except maybe on Fridays. They have DS games they play for 1/2 hour a day. They get 2 hours of tv on Sat. morning and that is when my dh and I go for our walk. My dh and I do not watch sports at all. Nothing. zilch. Except the olympics. Just not into it I guess. Time is so precious.

Sounds like you will have some great weekends ahead of you!
Kate Wicker said…
I've been trying to have tech-free Sundays, too. It's a good thing. It's easy to hear, but sometimes I find that with all these tweets, emails, phone calls, etc., it's hard to listen.

Peace. Be still.

God bless.
Greg Willits said…
So glad you had a good Tech-Free Sunday experience. I've gotten hooked on NOT having the technology on Sundays. It's amazing how much my brain decompresses on that one day away from the tech.
Sam said…
Thought about this...but mondays are so tough around here...I would hate to catch up on all the email junk on Monday morning...and my sardonic husband is all about his football...sunday is pretty much the day all the boys lay around and watch tv...especially sports!!! So we will keep evaluating...and dreaming of Tech-Free Sunday+++

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...