Skip to main content

Our world has become obsessed with public confessions

All we have to do is turn on the television and we will likely hear someone telling Oprah or some other TV show host their SINS. Yet there are those who will not go to a private confession with a priest. Which seems like the healthier format?

Sometimes it the ones who criticizes the most who seem most willing to tell it all. There are so many outlets of telling your sins or thoughts now. Even those not famous or willing to CONFESS on television, in books, or in the media, can do it here; on this lovely little screen we all look at many, many times a day.

What compels people to tell it all? Does it make us feel better to say it; or even hear it?

There are days that I have had ENOUGH of it all. The news depresses me, celebrities disappoint me, and even those facebook status updates are too much to read.

Yesterday I read ... "sometimes it's best to forget how we feel and remember what we deserve".
HUH?
What we DESERVE?

Have we become a society that believes we DESERVE things?
Sounds quite unbalanced ... sad in fact.

Listening to the radio yesterday I heard an interesting quote ... "the more stressed we become, the more potential there is to becoming self centered".

Stress is not a new thing. As my own children get older, I am certainly feeling more and more stress. There's so much to do; so many distractions. I'm not perfect and I know that I feel sorry for myself. Sometimes I even feel like I DESERVE things to make up for the way I feel. Athough I am pretty private about my complaints; well, the husband may get an earful, I know others who TELL IT ALL.

There are certainly times of the year where I feel more spiritually grounded. Advent and Lent sure do bring me closer to God. I think it's important to be reminded which leads me back to the sacrament of reconciliation ...“It’s cleansing to the soul. It’s uplifting for the spirit. If more people went to confession, they would understand how lifting the burden of sin improves their lives and their faith.”

YET, a private confession is scary to most.
For me, I would rather tell my sins or deepest thoughts to a priest. (Catholics believe the Sacrament of Reconciliation was instituted by Christ when he gave the apostles the power to forgive sins. That power has been transferred through apostolic succession of priests during the past two millennia.)
STILL, there are those who TELL IT ALOUD in a very public way.
Public Confessions ...

((((SIGH))))



Comments

Sarah said…
Couldn't agree with you more! The talk shows are the worst! Is there no shame anymore? I read a great article today in our paper about this whole topic...you said it best!

(Does my post on my most remembered parenting mistakes count? Oh, shoot!) :)

I tried to email you...your email address gets sent back! Try me...slt3969@gmail.com.
Anonymous said…
i've been a avid reader since PW featured you on her site...though i usually just read through my google reader feed.

there was just something about this entry though, that gave me the need to comment.

i am Catholic...born and raised. i value my faith deeply and i'm constantly searching to deepen my relationship with Christ.

yet so many times i struggle with Reconciliation. not because i don't believe that it's right, or true or in the many, many graces you get from the Sacrament...i think it's more the act of actually fessing up to your sins...owning up to them, and usually in the presence of a priest you know and work with.

i'm the youth minister at my Church so i work closely with my parish priest and i struggle with going to confession to him, knowing him (and his personality) and feeling like i will be judged or thought less of because of my sins (even though as a priest, i'm sure he's heard it all...but not coming from ME!)

sigh.

it has been on my heart for a couple of weeks now to drag my butt to confession...and this has just given me a stronger conviction.

thanks for that. ;)
nutmeg said…
I agree completely. Sometimes the chatter is way too much. I don't need to know everyone else's phobias and fears and successes and failures.... nor do I need to bare my soul to the entire world.

Being truthful on your blog and facebook page is more about being genuine, not baring your soul. It's a line that must be held.

True confessions should only happen within the sacrament.

Great post.
:)
Colleen said…
What a great post! I often tell people who are scared to go to Confession that it's like free therapy! (Bonus: our sins are forgiven...not just admitted)

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...