
As much as my own mother did what she thought was enough with teaching me the Catholic faith, I'm not sure there was much of any emphasis placed on my Catholic call to political responsibility. In fact, I don't think I even thought much of it until a few years ago.
The mid 70's to the mid 80's were the years I was influenced by my faith. Unfortunately I don't think they were strong years. I only went to Catholic school for part of 1st grade before I moved to another state and went to public school. My religious education was called CCD and it was watered down ... weak! Of course this is MY experience and maybe there were plenty of good religious programs out there, but it wasn't part of my upbringing.
As a parent myself I really do try my best to know what my children are learning ... in school and in our parish religion program. Of course I know what I teach to my homeschoolers ;) Thinking back to years ago I don't recall my mom really KNOWING ALL that was going on in the school arena. She was a stay at home mom and did volunteer in my early elementary years, but after that I think she just assumed that since I was doing well in school and no problems were evident; she just left my education in the hands of the school. Some of this mindset was probably very common during this era.
I'm not sure I can talk for all parents, but from what I see, there are a lot of parents today that seem to be a little more knowledgeable about what is going on with their children's education. Technology, especially with the use of emails, makes news known (sometimes to the point of "not another one"). People are quicker to speak up and even make choices to switch schools or homeschool.
This leads me to my thoughts on teaching our children in the home ... whether they are homeschooled or attend public/private schools. Our responsibilities as parents to teach cannot be left up to JUST the teachers outside the home. For you see, the teachers are not only the ones in the schools or religious ed programs. They are the media, celebrities, and friends. If we as parents don't do our part, the individual consciences of our children can be influenced greatly by others ... some who don't necessarily live their lives in a morally right way.
This week I emailed Congress about health care reform and removing the potential for abortion funding . I'm not sure if I would have ever done that years ago. HECK, I KNOW I WOULD NEVER HAVE! Somehow in the last few years my conscience has led me to speak up ... not be silent and leave things alone. We all know that things don't just happen by themselves.
I want my children to know GOD, to know what is RIGHT and TRUE, to know that they have a VOICE, and to know that they have a MIND to do what they can to make their stay in this world the best they can. That takes a good upbringing with a lot of work on my part as a parent. After all, I am the primary educator of my children!
*Some great resources on helping to teach justice, peace, and human development comes from US Conference of Catholic Bishops. Go check it out!
Comments