as big as their imagination?
REALLY?
That quote is no joke. My ears really did hear that on television this morning ... in between the countless toy commercials my little ones witnessed.
I guess it shouldn't surprise me that a company so big wants us all to want more and give more. It just rubs me the wrong way when I see how commercialized Christmas has become. Over the years I know I have been guilty of buying too much, trying to even the score between girls, and overspending/overspoiling BIG TIME!
This year I want things to be different.
WAIT! Didn't I say that last year?
All over the internet I have read some great plans for Advent, but it seems in the real everyday world that I see and hear involves women talking great big plans for their Christmas. What insanely expensive and practically out of reach gift they will get their 7 year old ... yikes!
The "real" spirit of Christmas needs to be what we expose ourselves to and not the very contagious over-materialized Christmas.
Sure I love gifts and giving to others really does bring me great joy. It just seems that it's taken too far with a much greater scale each year. Besides giving more and spending more, I find that so many are getting "encouraged" to give to a much broader base ... the mail carrier, the lawn person(s), the hair stylist, the countless teachers and coaches, etc. , etc. etc.
Instead of being excited to shop, I often find myself dreading the whole experience. The sheer volume of gifts and $$$$ seem way to much for me to take in. So instead, I nearly shut down until the last minute. Sure, I get it done, but the joy is missing. I'm simply getting it done to check things off my list.
This year I want to be more thoughtful and really set limits. I want to put my family OUT THERE to do something for the good of others (in some capacity). My children are spoiled (as are so many children today). Hopefully they do know and recognize their blessings ... heck, I remind them enough ;)
Off to think ...

Comments