Skip to main content

A glimpse into our morning of LEARNING ...

So far TODAY, has been a GOOD DAY. 4 girls got to their designated schools with the help of the bus and daddy. On M-W-F I have been blessed to have my husband help out so that I can get an early start to the homeschooling day with {k} ... my 6th/7th grader.

Sometimes it's nice to get in a good breakfast that isn't so rushed ...



This is "spirit week" with K12 and {k} wanted to do some work in MY SPOT.



Of course our days are not all that quiet. The puppy (blurry, furry, white dog) likes to get some crazy play time in. I'd love to send them BOTH to the backyard, but alas, we have mud back there. This mommy doesn't need to add dog baths to her day.




We've gathered some of the books on our home shelf to figure out which NOVEL we will choose. IF anyone has some great feedback on any of these, I would appreciate it. My oldest read all of them, but now it's time for daughter #2 to pick.



Just 3 weeks ago our homeschool world had some changes. At the start of the learning year I had put together a curriculum with a little bit of this and a little bit of that for my 6th grader. It was just going okay. We had some good moments, but a lot more so, so ones. I know my strengths, but I was starting to see some of my limitations. Improvements were needed and I wasn't quite sure I could do it alone.

Then came the idea (AGAIN) for K12. Last spring, {k}'s name was placed in the lottery for our state funded K12 program. Unfortunately our state only takes a certain number of students and I'm fairly sure that the middle school years are the most difficult grades to get INTO the program. {k} was and still is on the waiting list ... #18. The husband and I decided to look into the independent K12 program. I won't bore you, but after a lot of thinking, we jumped ship with our this and that homeschool curriculum and went on over to K12.

We still get in an art class on Mondays (2 hours) and an all day 4-H science class
on Fridays (that will end in a few weeks). {k} and I love checking off the boxes and seeing what we have done and what is next.
This mommy likes that the planning is done for her ;)



This is SPIRIT WEEK with K12 and on this day, {k} was encouraged to find a different spot to do her learning. This couch seemed like a warm, sunny, and cozy spot ...


Comments

kim said…
I have read all of those novels. I loved Anne of Green Gables! I think the Outsiders is a bit mature for a 12 year old...so I would probably read that one last. I distinctly remember reading "jacob have I loved" at 12 and loving it and there is a movie out there somehwere of it...

a movie/novel that my dd who is almost 12 and in 6th grade loves and I really like is "Pictures of Hollis Woods" by Nory Ryan. You might like it.
Christine said…
I love cream of wheat! What a good mama making hot food for the kiddos. My favorite meal of the day is breakfast and cook up a storm for the kids. I could skip supper every night....ugh what a chore.
Oh my gosh...I haven't had cream of wheat in forever! I'll have to get some and see how my kids like it. They eat a lot of oatmeal.

I've never heard of K12. Interesting. I'm going to poke around there. I'm always a little curious about other curriculums, even though all of what we are using is going so well. I'd probably be a fool to switch anything. But there are so many choices out there, I always wonder what we might be missing! lol
thesixburghmom said…
We love the ease of scheduling with K12 too. Checking things off is immensely satisfying. I messed up Michael's novel selection because I chose for him (he takes days to decide sometimes and we have to sit down and read the Amazon.com description of the book...lol). So I talked him into The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It is way too advanced for him. He just wasn't ready, but we are plugging through it. We'll pick something less challenging next time.

Glad {k} is doing so well with it and that you like it.
Sarah said…
Loved Jacob Have I Loved (although it's quite serious) and loved Anne of Green Gables...Outsiders too, but more of a boy book and I agree with Kim too. Didn't read the others but I bet there good.
Cream Of Wheat...memories of childhood.
ocd sister said…
I know this is a little late, but I highly recommend Anne of Green Gables, Kimberly of the Orchard and Story Girl. The last two are also by L M Montgomery and you can easily get them in paperback. I read Anne as a child and it changed my life. Over the years I became a collector of her books. They're so wonderful that Anne of Green Gables is mandatory reading (in English) in Japan for 8th graders.
Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

Momto5minnies meets the Pioneer Woman!

I read her blog and knew that she was coming into town for her book signing and I thought about going, but I also knew it was the day that I was getting my braces off (MONDAY 11/9). On Sunday night before, my husband made a quick trip to Walmart and brought home a flyer saying how Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) was coming the next day. I'm not sure if my husband was more excited about me getting my braces off the next day or having me MEET THE PIONEER WOMAN. I guess I really did want to go, but now I HAD TO GO! Monday was a crazy day ... jitters in the am 4.6 mile run to make me feel relaxed (it was also my longest run yet) drop the 12 year old at her homeschool art class quick trip to Walmart (to see if there were Pioneer Woman cookbooks ... no luck, but my husband picked me up a few ... I'm gifting some for Christmas). home to throw a pot roast in the crockpot braces removal at 11:30am dentist visit at 1pm usual afterschool chaos of swim team home for a 30 minute rest wa...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...

Not a lot has changed ...

As a puppy he always liked a warm spot. We call Comet our "close talker" (from Seinfeld) because he is in your face and always a little too close for our comfort level. The girls don't seem to mind, but it can be a little annoying for my husband and I. Really, he is a fabulous dog. He listens well and is so gentle with everyone. *We don't let Comet on furniture ... except for the playroom/schoolroom couch. There he enjoys relaxing and being read to by one of the girls. SPOILED POOCH!