- The kind that purchases books like these every summer.
- The kind that turns off the tv/computer/video games and has her child do something requiring THINKING.
- The kind that has been known to do just a bit of "bribing" to make it all happen.
We had a late start this summer. School ended, camps began , grandparents came for a visit, and now we are in the midst of Vacation Bible School. It's usually about this time ... about 3-4 weeks after school lets out that I feel my girls have had enough of a break.
Now I'm not all that mean . The amount of "work" is really not all that much and could probably be tackled in less than 30 minutes. It's usually some math review, reading comprehension, and a bit of writing.
It's certainly been proven (or at least pounded in our heads) that when students get back to school in the FALL, they really do experience significant losses. I'd like to say that my children are not part of that group, but even with some practice, it isn't exactly the same as what occurs during the school year. We do try to keep up with reading books ... some of my girls do a better job with this than others.
I guess I am a firm believer in that saying "use it or lose it". Everyone does need a break and summer time is the perfect time for that. Summers are for lazy days, swimming, vacations, and camps. Some might say that kids today don't need long summers (upwards of 3 months). Of course this can be argued and I'm not convinced that anytime in the immediate future things will change. When that change does happen (and I am sure it will in my lifetime), there will still be those arguing.
So while my girls have nearly 3 months of summer break, I like to be THAT MOMMY who refuses to let her children get too comfortable with the summer brain shutdown. My girls will use it (via books, workbooks, computer practice games) to hopefully avoid losing it ;)
Comments