Skip to main content

Where I lived as a little girl ...


From the age of 7-18, I lived in a place called Twin Rivers. I guess you could say it was where I grew up. It was built in the late 60's-early 70's and was located just 50 minutes from NYCity ... the first planned unit development. But before the age of 7, I lived in Brooklyn, NY. At the time my family of 6 was living in the downstairs floor of a home that we had definitely had outgrown by the time my parents had 2 children. This new development that we were heading to was being advertised as a great place to raise a family and a bus ride for those commuting to the city (NY). Of course, my dad worked in Manhattan at the time.

So, when I was 7, my parents moved all of us to NJ (my 2 older siblings and one younger sister). I was thrilled because this was a real (town)house with 4 bedrooms, a small backyard, and a basement. We were moving on up!

Some of the other cool features of this community were 4 pools (and not small ones ... 25M pools, 6 lanes, diving tanks, baby pools), tennis courts, baseball fields, and playgrounds all over the place. This development had townhomes, apartments, condos, and single family homes. There were blacktop paths that ran all throughout ... perfect for bike riding and exercising (no cars allowed). There was even an underground tunnel that you could walk through to get to the other side. The community had 4 QUADS and a highway went through the middle separating them into Quad 1&2/ Quad 3&4. Each of the sides had it's own elementary school and convenience store (7-11). The one side even had it's own shopping center complete with a grocery store, library, pizza place, dry cleaners, Chinese restaurant, dentist, doctor, card store, game room, bagel place,hair salon, and more.

This community was designed so that one could walk anywhere without needing a car. And believe me, most people adhered to this way of life. Our family (like so many others) only had one car. My dad walked each day to a bus stop that took him straight into the city for work. My mom got use of the family car most of the time. It wasn't until the 80's that I started to see more families with 2 cars. My girls would probably find that shocking!

Summer was the best time when I was a little girl. As long as I told my mom where I was going (and most of the time I really did), I could seek adventure in so many places. I'd head to the pool with friends and sometimes stay all-day-long. There were tons of kids in this community and you were pretty much guaranteed someone, if not MANY to play with. On hot summer nights, I can vividly recall games of tag and kickball with a group of kids in our commons ground (I basically lived in a U-shaped court of townhomes and in the center was a common area of grass with trees and landscaping on one side and parking on the other).

In a way I think my mom had it a bit easier. In the 60's through the 80's, people seemed to trust people more. People looked after others and safety was not so much of a worry. When I say that I would play outside for hours ... I did. My mom could clean a house and cook a meal with hardly an interruption. The inside of the house never really seemed messy or cluttered. Of course back then, we had a lot less "things", but for the most part kids were OUTSIDE and not so much inside.

My girls live a very different life. While we currently live in a development of houses, it isn't like how I had it growing up. Kids here go to a variety of public, private, or parochial schools ... so there isn't that awareness of who everyone is. There are families with young kids and old kids, but there are empty nesters as well. The neighborhood is quiet. Sometimes you will see kids playing outside ... riding bikes or skateboards, but most streets seem void of that. I can send my girls outside (to play on my property), but I know that it won't last for hours. While there is a pool and small playground (in walking distance), I can't just send my girls there unless they are 10 and up (and still I would never let them go off by themselves in hopes of finding a friend at the pool). There is no convenience store to spend your allowance and buy a slushie, no library to borrow some books, no tennis courts or blacktops to play on, and no big fields to play kickball with friends.

Having a car to get to places is vital. Most playdates involve a drive to another house. The library and stores are all within 10-20 minutes of my home. IF my girls want to do just about ANYTHING, it involves ME. I think this is the biggest difference between my childhood and my girls. Independence and freedom seem to be missing. There isn't the trust and worry free ways of the past. People drive into their homes and shut the garage doors behind them. Sometimes you have no idea that anyone is really at home in these houses. Hired help takes care of the yards (of course I AM the help in my home) so often I never see my neighbors. Just the other day I saw the boy across the street. He looked about 14. AFter living here for 5 years I can count on my hand how many times I have seen him. He has red hair ... I almost forgot that.

While I am sad that my girls don't get to experience what I HAD as a young girl, I know that life today is different. They don't see what they are missing. My girls have a great big house to live in and to play in. They have a lot of "things". They participate in activities and swimming when not in school. During summer months, they still swim and play, but it almost always requires some help from me. I'm okay with that because I'm so used to driving all over and so are my girls.

Someday when my own girls have their own children, they will likely see that the lives they live are probably different than theirs from the past. Time moves on ... the ways of the world change. It's bittersweet.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You evoked so many memories of my own growing up with this post. I do think it's a shame things have changed so far.
Kerrie @ TFK said…
Wow. In reading this, all my memories of growing up in Jersey just came back to me....*sigh*
Shelly said…
yeah, playing outside for hours... only to come home for dinner. my kids don't have a clue!

the place you grew up sounds very fun. i would love - for the most part - to have a place like that for my kids. but then again, to have a quiet house (????) not sure that would seem right either :)
Laura said…
I really enjoyed reading about where you grew up. Very very intersting.
nutmeg said…
You've pretty much described my childhood.. living on Long Island in an old-ish neighborhood. My street was my playground.

Now-a-days, we parents do an awful lot of "scheduling" of playdates and such. Way more than our parents ever had to. I'm glad to do it, but you are so right... it's nothing like when we were little!

While things have changed, we are lucky to have about 5 families on our block that the kids rotate between houses. I'm glad that at least part of my nostalgic childhood can be re-lived in my kids' lives.
:)
Emily said…
You have the best post ideas! I might have to steal this one, too. I love it.

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling every bit of 46 ... ugh!

When I was 45, I was feeling fabulous.   I was fit, energetic, and I thought I could easily pass for 40;) Age was just a number and I certainly didn't think I felt or looked my true age. Then February 11th came and I turned 46.   I have sciatica on my left side, my left knee is stiff, and I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot.   I've resorted to stretching all the time and popping the occasional anti-inflammatory.   There are dark circles under my eyes that I've had to start putting concealer on.   My hair is growing out from last years 45 year old short hair, but it's just in an awkward stage.  I can't decide if I want to cut it again or let it grow out.   I even thought of styling my hair differently by doing a different hair part.   That was a terrible idea because I was SHOCKED to see how much gray is now growing in the center of my scalp.  I also think my metabolism is slowing down because my mid section seems a little thicker ... ...

"The Loveliness of The Seashore"

What is the "Seashore" like? "Where the sky meets the sea ... The seashore is a place where the sea and the sky are the same smoky gray until ... the morning sun breaks through. The hot noonday sun feels warm as a big soft cat covering you. And it seems there is nothing in the world except the sound of the wind and the rising and falling of waves." Over at Dawn 's there are so many wonderful books suggested on her blog. Earlier this month I couldn't help but to peek at some of them ... thanks Dawn! *The above quote came from The Seashore Book . The ocean moves in and then moves out. This place where water, sky and earth meet is never the same. The tide comes in, the tide goes out, each wave that returns pushes against the incoming swell as it is pulled back into the endless depths and swallowed into the vastness of an unknown deep. Such is each day of our "daily" lives. I grew up enjoying the sights, sound, and the surf of the NY/Jersey "shor...

A scattered post ...

I throw myself into stuff all the time.  It can be anything from the start of a swim season, a new school year, the election, a vacation, an exercise routine etc.  I'm kind of in a phase where I really don't know what my focus should be.  I turned on the television and honestly, I have no idea what is on this fall season ... NO IDEA AT ALL .  If I watched television in the past few months, it was something kid related or Fox News. I NEED A NEW FOCUS. My current thoughts  ... reading a fictional, just for fun book stepping up my exercise routine thinking about our Christmas wish lists and shopping baking more ... I really am slacking in this area ways to save money so that we can get a new (second) washer and dryer for the upstairs (not a fancy kind because this would mostly be used by my oldest two children)... I actually have hookups. I wonder if a lot of people go through a sort of "lull" period this time of the year.  Surely it doesn't last long with the start ...