MY THOUGHTS...
#1
I just came back from my 3rd grader's class where she presented her state research project/paper. There were some parents in the class; also watching their child present. I was relieved to see that "most" of the work shared aloud was work that looked like it belonged to a 3rd grader. One of my pet peeves these days are parents that pretty much DO THE CHILD'S WORK. I guess that's why I have "issues" when projects for these younger kids come home. It seems that many parents feel obliged to relive their elementary years (grrrrrr). So today, I didn't see nearly the "parent work" that I have seen in the past. That's a good thing!
#2
Yesterday an old friend shared a music video on his facebook wall. It was by the artist P!NK and the song "F**ckin' Perfect". I see plenty of people who post videos on facebook ... I've done it myself. It just bothered me to see that on someone's wall. I only watched a few minutes of the video to just see how "powerful" (as he called it) it was. I also wanted to know if the expletive was actually said or bleeped. Let me say, it started out with a very sexual scene and the title of the song was CLEARLY sung.
I sometimes let things just slide because I'm really not an in your face person who likes to stir up an argument. However, I just had to say something and this is what I posted ...
I turned the station the other day with my 5 year old in the car. She asked why and I said the song had a not nice word in it. She told me "it's okay if there are bad words in songs mommy ... you can sing them".
I think it goes beyond freedom of expression and it makes me sad. We can all choose better words.
Sorry Jay.
His response ...
Agreed Elaine. It's a shame because it's a pretty good song and I don't think there's any need for her to use the word to get her point across but maybe that's how she feels she needs to do it. In fact, all three of her new songs on her Greatest Hits album contain the "F bomb" and I have to admit I was a little disappointed because she's so talented it actually detracts from her songs. Wonder if she'll tone it down after the baby? LOL.
I actually think that P!INK has a great voice and even with her bit of anger (which I don't mind), I used to be okay with her work. Now ... not so much. I feel like she let me down; she let her audience down by giving into the current culture of say and do as you like. Part of what was appealing to me was that she was sort of a "rebel" and not someone who followed along with what others were doing. You can be that and not do what she did with this song and video. THERE! I said my piece;)
#3
My mind has been working overtime lately. The head is filled with lots of worries/concerns and frankly some ANGER and DISAPPOINTMENT. There are days that I know that I'm just too plugged into the world that I'm currently typing into. I get easily annoyed and become sensitive to the world we live in. I would love to just stop, be still, and quiet all that's going on inside of me. Yesterday we had some "weather" in this here state and schools were threatening to close. Facebook has become a go to place for all news and while that may be convenient, it is also a huge time waster for me ... one that has got to be managed a LOT better. What I'd really like to do is get back to this blogging thing. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again. Maybe with time, I'll really allow myself to note that while each minute of each day is important; what I have to share might just be better done in the privacy of my own home (without frequent facebook status updates). Not that I think I should disappear into obscurity, I just think there need to be some BALANCE. Just sayin' ...
#4
I know I've got more to say, but really it's been a while since I've had time to myself . Instead of going on and on, I would like to do one thing that I don't think I've ever really done. No girls in the house, no work, and no pressing things to do. Sounds to me like the opportunity to snuggle in my bed (on this cold, cold day) , grab a cup o' tea, and READ. JEALOUS?
#1
I just came back from my 3rd grader's class where she presented her state research project/paper. There were some parents in the class; also watching their child present. I was relieved to see that "most" of the work shared aloud was work that looked like it belonged to a 3rd grader. One of my pet peeves these days are parents that pretty much DO THE CHILD'S WORK. I guess that's why I have "issues" when projects for these younger kids come home. It seems that many parents feel obliged to relive their elementary years (grrrrrr). So today, I didn't see nearly the "parent work" that I have seen in the past. That's a good thing!
#2
Yesterday an old friend shared a music video on his facebook wall. It was by the artist P!NK and the song "F**ckin' Perfect". I see plenty of people who post videos on facebook ... I've done it myself. It just bothered me to see that on someone's wall. I only watched a few minutes of the video to just see how "powerful" (as he called it) it was. I also wanted to know if the expletive was actually said or bleeped. Let me say, it started out with a very sexual scene and the title of the song was CLEARLY sung.
I sometimes let things just slide because I'm really not an in your face person who likes to stir up an argument. However, I just had to say something and this is what I posted ...
I turned the station the other day with my 5 year old in the car. She asked why and I said the song had a not nice word in it. She told me "it's okay if there are bad words in songs mommy ... you can sing them".
I think it goes beyond freedom of expression and it makes me sad. We can all choose better words.
Sorry Jay.
His response ...
Agreed Elaine. It's a shame because it's a pretty good song and I don't think there's any need for her to use the word to get her point across but maybe that's how she feels she needs to do it. In fact, all three of her new songs on her Greatest Hits album contain the "F bomb" and I have to admit I was a little disappointed because she's so talented it actually detracts from her songs. Wonder if she'll tone it down after the baby? LOL.
I actually think that P!INK has a great voice and even with her bit of anger (which I don't mind), I used to be okay with her work. Now ... not so much. I feel like she let me down; she let her audience down by giving into the current culture of say and do as you like. Part of what was appealing to me was that she was sort of a "rebel" and not someone who followed along with what others were doing. You can be that and not do what she did with this song and video. THERE! I said my piece;)
#3
My mind has been working overtime lately. The head is filled with lots of worries/concerns and frankly some ANGER and DISAPPOINTMENT. There are days that I know that I'm just too plugged into the world that I'm currently typing into. I get easily annoyed and become sensitive to the world we live in. I would love to just stop, be still, and quiet all that's going on inside of me. Yesterday we had some "weather" in this here state and schools were threatening to close. Facebook has become a go to place for all news and while that may be convenient, it is also a huge time waster for me ... one that has got to be managed a LOT better. What I'd really like to do is get back to this blogging thing. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again. Maybe with time, I'll really allow myself to note that while each minute of each day is important; what I have to share might just be better done in the privacy of my own home (without frequent facebook status updates). Not that I think I should disappear into obscurity, I just think there need to be some BALANCE. Just sayin' ...
#4
I know I've got more to say, but really it's been a while since I've had time to myself . Instead of going on and on, I would like to do one thing that I don't think I've ever really done. No girls in the house, no work, and no pressing things to do. Sounds to me like the opportunity to snuggle in my bed (on this cold, cold day) , grab a cup o' tea, and READ. JEALOUS?
Comments
http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm
It's a self test for people who might be highly sensitive.
I need to limit my facebook time wasting too.
I hope you find some peace time soon.
We all need that.
Ahhhh ...