Children, be on your guard against idols.
Anything in this life that takes our attention away from God can be considered idol worship. That may be all sorts of things ... worshipping ourselves, material things, careers, routines, or any ideas. Worshipping false idols really can bring chaos and disorder to our lives. Our God wants us to worship only him ... he alone is the true happiness in our hearts. I know when I get caught up in any thing, it causes me to feel uneasy. Balance is the key and too often I am in a state of feeling "unbalanced".
- JOHN 5:21
As a kid, I thought idol worship was silly. Shoot, who would be so dumb as to believe a thing could be GOD? Then I got older and started stockpiling my own idols. It's easy, so long as you rename them something innocent sounding. For example, take the love of money and call it "financial security". And let's call injustice "pragmatism", and neglecting the world's poor "taking care of my own responsibilities first." Before you know it, we've got shrines in every corner.
- 2009 A Book of Grace-Filled Days
I am thankful for little reminders. That Holy Spirit sure is busy ...
Comments
I think I have imbalanced computer time.
Must do something about that.
have a good day,
suz
Thank you. :)
Thanks for the reminder of what is really important!
Jen